Givi E21's

Guest matt_c

Guest matt_c

They look like a great deal and something that would serve me well, but I just wanted to ask around in here and see what people think about these?

I basically need something for commutting. I ride 140 miles a day, and I need to carry, my Laptop, some files, a rainsuit, some shoes, my Lunch, and various other knick knacks.

Do you think these would be big enough to handle this task?

Looks like I could buy the racks and bags for about $300, which is a steal for some hard luggage.

I basically need something for commutting. I ride 140 miles a day, and I need to carry, my Laptop, some files, a rainsuit, some shoes, my Lunch, and various other knick knacks.

Do you think these would be big enough to handle this task?

Yeah, I'd say yes. Those cases have a capacity of 21 liters a piece, so you should have just enough room for all of that stuff. According to Givi's website, the E21's have dimensions 16.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 inches. As long as your laptop is small enough to fit into that, you should be fine.

To be absolutely sure, I would get a cardboard box and cut it up so it's the same dimensions as the E21. Then, try to stuff the cardboard box with all the stuff you want to carry. That way you can see if the E21s are going to be big enough to fit everything.

• Member Contributer

That's what I have.....even on trips with a top box they work great. I love mine...look good (wheel still shows/ good clearance)....great set of bags................. :thumbsup:

Guest matt_c

Dang, you guys are fast.

Great idea about the cardboard box, Im gonna do that tonight.

These would be weather proof and very secure wouldn't they?

Do you have any pics of them on your bike, Im concerned about the width in the rear, I dont like the bags that stick way out and make the bike look awkward.

• Member Contributer
Just for refrence, these are what I am talking about:

3100-500x600.jpg

Side cases/ top case/ back pad......your picture is the same set of cases I have, except mine are in flat black.....great set-up....................... :thumbsup:

Where did you find the racks & 21's for 300. There are 2 parts to the rack and it cost almost twice what the bags cost. Best i've seen is e21 cases 140 rack 250.

• Member Contributer
Dang, you guys are fast.

Great idea about the cardboard box, Im gonna do that tonight.

These would be weather proof and very secure wouldn't they?

Do you have any pics of them on your bike, Im concerned about the width in the rear, I dont like the bags that stick way out and make the bike look awkward.

Don't have pics, but I walked outside and measured.....from the widest point of my rear body work beside the seat, they only stick out 8.5" farther on each side. They are the narrowest cases GIVI makes. Very secure and mine have never leaked, and I ride in some pretty nasty weather sometime. I use Nelson Rigg rain bags in mine sometime on trips.....they can be lifted out and carried in without un-locking the boxes off the bike.....work well, plus double protection.............................. :thumbsup:

Guest matt_c

Glad you pointed that out, I thought the price for the racks would be for a pair being that the cases came in a pair.

That helps me decide wether to make my own mounts or not.

I think I will give it a shot first, then if that doesnt work out, I will order the racks.

Its not a rack for each side, theres 2 parts upper and lower. I think the price on the cases are very reasonable but the rack is a bit much for what it is. I have also considered making my own rack as I have access to a full sheetmetal shop & know a powder coater. My problem is finding the time to do it. If you build your own I would love to hear about it.

• Member Contributer

Not exactly the same setup (I have the Givi Wingrack II)...

gallery_3021_1261_21937.jpg

A few miles outside of Searchlight Nevada

I can stuff my soft briefcase with 15" Powerbook in it inside one E21. Normally, it gets tossed in the V46 topbox.

• Member Contributer

I've got the E21's and a top box on my bike. I really like all the Givi stuff.

I figured I'd only use the side cases once in a while, so I went with the tubular mounts instead of the wingrack. I always leave the top case mount on my bike, which doesn't look too bad without the case. The tubular racks for the side cases look ugly without the cases mounted, but they're black and don't stand out **too** much. The side racks are pretty easy to install/deinstall... maybe 20 minutes or so.

I don't use any of my cases (top or side) every day, so I choose to remove the side racks until I need them.

If I was going to use some kind of case Every Single day, I'd go with the side cases because I think the bike looks better with side cases than with only the top case, (lower weight, blah blah blah).

The cases are nice enough. Waterproof because of the lid overlapping the bottom. Secure? They are lockable, but the cases are plastic.... so I wouldn't leave anything in the cases overnight.

Steve

• Member Contributer

I'd agree, they're pretty weatherproof but I wouldn't leave anything valuable in them overnight. Nice that they pop off with the key and a push of the button though and just carry them inside. I went with the tubular racks. I think you could get everything in you mentioned. My 15" laptop and case fit in nicely. These are the closest shots I have.

gallery_7586_1540_154599.jpg

dv1.JPG

gallery_7586_1540_70026.jpg

dv2.JPG

• Member Contributer

Here is a pic of the tubular rack which i think works great.

gallery_1874_385_81659.jpg

VFR High mount D&D

Here is a pic with the bags on. I have used mine to carry my laptop many times and have used them on trips. They are very easy to put on and take off, just a push of the button and of they come. They are water proof also.

gallery_1874_385_24447.jpg

VFR's Only This is at Sunset's in Sharbor Lake, Ontario Canada.

Has anyone checked out the SW-MOTECH quick-lock sideracks for the E21's? Looks a little more pricey, but the whole rack comes right off without tools. I'm thinking of putting some E21's on a 5th gen (not even bought and i'm already thinking of what to get!) and these look pretty appealing...

• Member Contributer
Has anyone checked out the SW-MOTECH quick-lock sideracks for the E21's? Looks a little more pricey, but the whole rack comes right off without tools. I'm thinking of putting some E21's on a 5th gen (not even bought and i'm already thinking of what to get!) and these look pretty appealing...

Yes. I have.

You need a screwdriver or something similar to remove the racks. They seem to work well.

These bags lock onto the racks with a key. They are a bit bigger than the E21's.

gallery_4750_2326_72282.jpg

With bags.

gallery_4750_2326_70856.jpg

Without bags and brackets. Bags and brackets can be removed in less than a minute.

• Member Contributer

Matt,

Looking for any more input, or have you made up your mind already?

Given your needs (my Laptop, some files, a rainsuit, some shoes, my Lunch, etc.) it sounds like these might work for you. I'll second the recommendation (by MFP-2241) to test to see if you can fit everything you need (cardboard box, etc.)

As far as the racks are concerned, you may have already figured this out, but there are three separate options that you may want to consider. (There could be more, but these are the ones I know about.) They are:

GiVi wingrack (requires a bike-specific mounting kit and 2-bag or 3-bag wingrack setup, depending on whether or not you want to run a GiVi topcase, now or in the future)

GiVi tubular side racks (bike-specific)

SW-Motech quick-detachable mounting kit (bike-specific racks + GiVi mounting equipment)

All of this stuff is available from Twisted Throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ (I have no affiliation with them, but I do have some of their stuff).

Eeksnake has a good picture of the wingrack setup (above) - which seems to be the sturdiest of the three setups.

Pgreen94 has a good picture of the tubular side racks (also above)- which seem to be pretty sturdy, too. However, there's no provision for a topcase (if you think you might want to use one).

Motor_Ref has a picture of a different set of bags (Hepco & Becker bags) mounted on the SW-Motech racks above, and another picture showing the bike with the racks detached.

I have a Wingrack/3-bag-setup on my 94 vfr. I have a set of the E21s, but I also have the E360s, which are more capacious, so the E360s stay on the bike most of the time.

I previously had a wingrack/3-bag-setup on my 89 Hawk GT. As small/light as that bike is, the weight was noticeable (a) if the bags were full, (B) if the bags were empty or © even if I did not have the bags - just the weight of the wingrack. But the hawk is a small/light little bike.

For the future, I have the SW-motech racks to go on my wife's CBR - just haven't done it yet (long story), but the E21s are lined up for that when I get it installed.

Hope that helps...

Ron

• Member Contributer

I just got the E21's this winter, haven't used them yet but overall I'm pleased with them for the money for I spent. Kind of flimsy compared to other Givi cases but I guess you get what you pay for.

DSCN0640.jpg

My biggest complaint is they don't hold a full case of beer. :goofy: :pissed:

DSCN0570.jpg

E21's with a top case and WingrackII. I went for the Wingrack so I would have the option of adding the topcase at a later date. I have since bought a 460.

Here are pics without the topcase. I haven't taken pics with the topcase. As you can see from these pics and the various other responses, the E21's work well. Laptop, files, daytimer, shoes, raingear and a lunch +.

Lockable, secured to the bike and waterproof. Can't beat that!

gallery_3306_409_926884.jpg

100_2855.JPG

gallery_3306_409_727209.jpg

100_2848.JPG

• Member Contributer
Pgreen94 has a good picture of the tubular side racks (also above)- which seem to be pretty sturdy, too. However, there's no provision for a topcase (if you think you might want to use one).

Ron

I have the Givi tubular racks with their trunk rack, can mount each separately or all three together or just the trunk. This is the old style like pgreen's, I heard they redesigned them so not sure about the new ones.

Ron

I have the Givi tubular racks with their trunk rack, can mount each separately or all three together or just the trunk. This is the old style like pgreen's, I heard they redesigned them so not sure about the new ones.

From what I gathered the new one requires the top rack in addition to the side case racks, which doesnt make sense to me. At that point might as well get the wingrack. Guess I'm just gonna get softies.

Guest matt_c
My biggest complaint is they don't hold a full case of beer. :rolleyes: :beer:

DSCN0570.jpg

LOL, :D

What about a 12 pack in each side? :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have learned a lot from this discussion. :thumbsup:

I'm really confused now. According to Twisted throttles website you must have a top rack w/ the side racks. But the damn pic on their site shows 2 side cases mounted w/ no top rack.

Side rack pic

WTF gives, I guess i'm gonna have to call them.

I called Twinsted Throttle and they called Givi and you must have the top rack. They are gonna send me installation pix. I will review them and see if I can fab a piece to replace the 140$ top rack that I dont need.

IIRC-you only need the toprack to mount a topcase. I had the toprack off over the weekend to repair a crack and I can't recall any reason why you would need the toprack to run only the side bags on a 5th Gen w/ wingrack II.

My comments on experience with the e21s.

I think they look good.

If really loaded down (3 bags with sleeping bag and tent b/t rider and topcase) then the interior placement of the keyhole and fliptop can requiring removal/loosing of the other gear to get access. On the upside the flip open keeps stuff from falling out when opening.

When in doubt..go for more space. Once you can start carrying stuff you tend to want to bring more and more stuff.

Make spare keys (and keep them in your jacket/wallet) b/c you never know when you are going to be 600 miles from home after wearing the same clothes for 4 days, riding home in the rain w/o access to your stuff b/c your key broke off when you were a little tipsy and your spare key is inside one of your givibags (which your riding partner finds HILARIOUS)...happens everyday to people just like you.

Archived