4th Gen Rear Spring Swap

Guest Wingspan

Guest Wingspan

hyperpro%20002.jpg

Tool installed on the shock:

I can already here the typing from those ready to point out that changing just the spring will leave you with improper damping. I'm well aware of that, so consider that point a given! :thumbsup: 90% of my VFR's duties involve long interstate runs and daily commuting. It isn't used for canyon strafing or track days. Given that, I'm willing to be the guinea pig and try the much lower priced option of a spring swap. I'm only looking for improvement, not perfection. Time will tell, I provide the following info simply to explain how it's done. I've not ridden the bike yet in this condition and so am not giving the mod a recommendation at this time. This post is simply an FYI, nothing more. wink.gif

How to replace the spring on a 4th gen VFR:

I used the compressor Progressive sells for the Goldwing. If anyone is in the market for a tool like this, I highly recommend buying the Goldwing tool over their standard compressor. The difference is the bolt/clevis method of attachment to the shock eye and the addition of the aluminum collar. The standard tool does not have the collar and has just a metal hook to snag the shock eye with (which is too large to fit the VFR shock eye, btw). Note: I had to trim one end of the collar ~1/4" to clear the preload adjuster on the VFR shock.

hyperpro%20005.jpg

There is a set screw on this particular shock that must be loosened before you can compress the spring. It's only function is to keep the preload adjuster from rotating around the shock body. You can see it to the right of this pic. Once the set screw is backed off, compress the spring until a metal retaining ring becomes visible. Remove the ring, then back off the compressor to remove the spring. Reverse the process to install the new spring,

Note set screw on right side of pic and snap ring in groove:

hyperpro%20001.jpg

Job done, shock ready to reinstall:

hyperpro%20003.jpg

I'll be sure to post my impressions when I actually have a chance to ride the bike. smile.gif

Edited by HispanicSlammer

• Member Contributer

Cool! :thumbsup:

The User Manual says not to do it, so I thouhgt it couldnot be done...... WRONG!!!

But, euh... with the spring itself off, you could have given the body a lick of paint eh? :P

Guest Wingspan
Cool! :thumbsup:

The User Manual says not to do it, so I thouhgt it couldnot be done...... WRONG!!!

It's very easy to do with the proper tool. Once you've got the shock off, you can swap the spring in less than 10 minutes.

But, euh... with the spring itself off, you could have given the body a lick of paint eh? :P

I suppose I could have. It never crossed my mind.

Edited by Wingspan

how much was the tool?

please do post up ride performance. I just bought a 929 shock off ebay for $24.00 and will need to add the a stiffer spring. i dont really want to revalve it and all so i am hoping just adding a 19kg spring will do the trick.

Guest Wingspan

I paid ~$55 for the tool. You could probably have a shop swap the spring for you for less money, but I've resprung every bike I've owned so I know I'll get more use out of it in the future.

I also just like buying tools! smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Wingspan,

Given the purple-color of the spring, I'm guessing that's a hyperpro spring?

(Also guessing, based on the fact that you are replacing the spring on a stock rear shock, rather than an aftermarket shock.)

I've considered the same change myself - be sure to let us know (or me, at least!) of your riding impressions after this change.

(I'm actually thinking about getting their combination kit, with replacement fork springs and a new shock spring. Not happening yet, but maybe later this year.)

Thanks!

Ron

Guest Wingspan
Is Hyperpro the only spring out there that has a progressive rate to it? All the ones I see are one spring rate.

I didn't come across any other progressive springs when I was shopping. Hyperpro had the spring on my doorstep in 2 days. My only complaint so far is the wretched purple color, but the shock is buried so far in the bodywork on a 4th gen that it isn't really visible.

• Member Contributer

The progressive-type wind on the spring and the type riding you stated, will probably negate any damping balance that might be needed if you were "building" for the track......will be interested in the ride report also............ :thumbsup:

Guest Wingspan

Ride report is waiting on two things. First, while respringing the forks I discovered that one was slightly tweaked in an accident last spring. I've got a replacement on the way and hopefully should have it all back together later this week. Second, it's February in Indiana. Riding will have to wait for a bit.

Ride report is waiting on two things. First, while respringing the forks I discovered that one was slightly tweaked in an accident last spring. I've got a replacement on the way and hopefully should have it all back together later this week. Second, it's February in Indiana. Riding will have to wait for a bit.

Where are you getting your fork from? New OEM? I only ask because I made a slight drilling mistake while removing the cartridge in one of mine ..... Went too far to the side and got into a bit of the flat sealing suface ... JB weld to the rescue ....

Guest Wingspan
Where are you getting your fork from? New OEM? I only ask because I made a slight drilling mistake while removing the cartridge in one of mine ..... Went too far to the side and got into a bit of the flat sealing suface ... JB weld to the rescue ....
]

I've got a used one on the way that I picked up on ebay. I may have some extra fork parts for sales soon.

• Member Contributer

Hyperpro designs their springs to work with the stock weight and damping of the bike. It won't overwhelm the damper. While there's no such thing as critical, under, or over damping without the linear spring, you'll still tune to approximate it and you should have enough adjustment to get too much or too little unless your damper is already dead. I had no issues with mine.

What you will notice if you ever ride a higher end shock is that the stock Honda damper is "backwards" in compression...it has lots of high speed compression damping and not enough low speed compression damping. Nothing you can really do about that...

Guest Wingspan

I managed a ride around town today. Not exactly a demanding test, but this is where my VFR spends a great deal of its road time. So far, I couldn't be happier. Along with the Hyperpro, I also swapped in a set of 1.0 kg fork springs (linear, not progressive). It's still a soft ride compared to my aprilia, but much more taut that stock. Gone is the hobby horse like fore/aft see-sawing it used to do when transitioning from accel to braking and visa versa. The added rear ride height also seems to quickened the steering quite a bit. I hit a few bumps on purpose that always really upset the bike before and it performed very well this time.

Come on spring! I'm going to need better weather before giving a full opinion, but even just the improvement in city driving manors is worth the price, IMO.

What you will notice if you ever ride a higher end shock is that the stock Honda damper is "backwards" in compression...it has lots of high speed compression damping and not enough low speed compression damping. Nothing you can really do about that...

Absolutely correct. FWIW, my other bike is a Mille R with full Ohlins front/rear and my previous sport bike also had an Ohlins shock and pro-reworked forks. I have no problem spending the cash for quality suspension but the VFR is really only my commuter and highway touring machine. For lack of a better term, it's my "beater". Given that, it's age, and relatively low worth I decided that a lower buck approach might be sufficient. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I didn't think that my Gen 3 Showa rear shock was rebuildable, so I bought the full Hyperpro remote reservoir GP shock. I suspected that the Showa was pretty toasted at 20K miles, so it wasn't that big a stretch to go with a known-good new unit. Plus, the custom vavling and custom +10mm length enhanced my handling.

Like Wingspan, I did linear rate front springs at the same time (the 1.0kg springs were way backordered and I was impatient, so I went with .95kg units).

I actually don't mind the Hyperpro spring color. As mentioned, it is so deeply enshrouded that you really have to look for it.

But, the ride quality is great. It totally transformed my porky and wallowing 1993 VFR.

Glad no one got hurt in the spring swap. Had I seen this two years ago, I might have tried it.

Guest Wingspan

It is 60F and sunny here today, so I left work early to give the newly resprung VFR a try! To make a long story short, it feels like a totally different motorcycle. Wow! I've never had so big an improvement for so little money. You certainly feel the bumps in the road more, but I've yet to hit any that upset the bike at a normal street pace. It feels as though I've taken 100 pounds off the bike. The tendency to wallow about is gone and it gives a much more confident feel. Obviously ~50 miles isn't enough to explore every aspect of the mod but so far I have yet to experience anything to make me regret doing it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: