Bluetooth Helmet Options

Jon28

I just got a new Nextel I 580 and I want to use the bluetooth feature with my full face Shoei X-11. Just curious about different options.....my main concern is being able to ride and take calls as well as make calls. I don't care about rider to passenger com. Thanks

• 2 months later...

I use the Scala Rider with a Blackberry. As you've said, my primary interest is being able to take not make calls. The Scala works well - has ambient noise volume adjustment and those I've talked to says it sounds like I'm in a car with the window down. there is background noise, but it doesn't interfere with communication. Do a web search and you should find multiple sources. Should cost about $150.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

gallery_3721_686_27192.jpg

MVC-679S.JPG

gallery_3721_686_11807.jpg

MVC-676S.JPG

I have cell phone hookup through my chatterbox. Its ok when I'm on the interstate, besides that I feel like I completely ignore who I'm talking to on the phone, or I don't pay attention to where I'm driving, which is why I don't use it anymore. My gps is enough detraction for me to handle at one time. I'm pretty good at multitasking, but not when one of the multitasks is talking on the phone. IMO, its dangerous, worse than talking on the phone while in a car, which I'm not good at either. Forgetting to do things like turn your head and make sure that lane is clear before switching lanes, not paying attention to that car thats about to run the red light infront of you, etc. I'm content with not using it anymore. Might work better for you than me, but be careful while trying smile.gif

I also use the ScalaRider. My cell (nokia 6620) will also play mp3s through it, and auto switch to the phone when it rings, then return back to the mp3s after the call is over. At speeds under 70mph the callers do not know you are on a bike (with the visor down).

I have a spare brand new one in box if you are interested (got 3 originally, and one guy ended up getting out of bikes before it came in).

• Member Contributer

Funny that this topic comes up, as I was using my Samsung bluetooth inside my helmet today while talking to my friend Chris. We were able to have a conversation, even while I was doing 60mph. The good thing about my Samsung unit is it has a little "nipple" that goes partially into my ear canal. There were a couple "Whaddyasay's?" on each end of our conversation, but all in all it seemed to work relatively well. My old cell phone had a setting that would automatically answer after a certain number of rings, but my current phone lacks that feature meaning answering calls while riding is virtually impossible.

How does it work with ear protection? I would like to get a bluetooth helmet, but try to wear ear protection whenever I ride. Would it be possible to hear the helmet speakers through some ear plugs?

The little helmet speaker is plenty loud to be heard through ear plugs. The Scala also has a built in auto answer mode - just say something when it rings, and it picks up.

• Member Contributer

Soon J&M will market a headset that is truly stereo. If you think you will ever add an MP3 player or satellite radio, you may want to look at this. Otherwise Motorola and Nolan both make motorcycle helmet ready bluetooth headsets (along with the Scala rider mentioned above). I'm interested, too. Let us know what you choose and why.

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30

I have the scala rider FM. Yep, bluetooth works fine for my razr V3, but i really like the FM. My XM radio transmits on FM, so I get my XM in the helmet with no wires and no worries.

Stereo would be nice, but since I'm always on foxnews talk radio, I don't much miss stereo....and I like the idea that one ear is open to hear the sirens smile.gif.

E

• Member Contributer

My wife bought me one of these so she could contact me when I am out and about, it works just fine, maybe too good. If anybody is interested I would be ready to part with it for $100 + shipping. Sorry honey! I lost it!!!

• Member Contributer

Last december I visited the local BMW dealer to try on their System helmet. I enquired after the BT version. "BMW have recalled/stopped the introduction because it doesnot work the way they thought it would..." :joystick:

Last december I visited the local BMW dealer to try on their System helmet. I enquired after the BT version. "BMW have recalled/stopped the introduction because it doesnot work the way they thought it would..." :joystick:

Strange answer from a BMW dealer. <_<

• 1 month later...
Guest rider5050

A good morning to all,

I received an item in the mail that I had order from bargainbikergear.com ,

I bought the Cardo Scala Rider bluetooth teamset from them on their web store and got it in the mail Sat.

IT is a amazing, and the lowest price on the web (anywhere).

So I go to their web site to check out more items they offer and was amazed at the total variety of apparel (come on, we all know how much the Teknic and Firstgear leathers are).

Wanted to share the super news of this place.

Super price and super lightning fast shipping (FREE over 50 buck purchase).

So I just placed another order with bargainbikergear this morning for a new leather jacket (got the Firstgear Scout). My wife is looking at the other Firstgear and we will probably order again.

Just wanted to pass along the deal I got on the Cardo Scala Rider Bluetooth Teamset.

I think we just found our new online store to buy all our cycle wants.

Enjoy the sun and RIDE RIDE RIDE

PS-you will LOVE the Cardo teamset...it ROCKS

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI

I bought my Scala Rider FM from Bargain Biker Gear thru ebay. It arrived today. I was surprised to find that Cardo updated it to now include two speakers which are Stereo. It must have been done relatively recently as there was nothing in the manual about it and just a little pink piece of paper that said they had updated the unit. So if anyone is interested in a stereo headset for Bluetooth and an FM stereo, this is a great way to go. I got it buy it now for $150. Sounds awesome, but I haven't got up to speed on it yet. FM reception is great, haven't received or made a call yet.

• Member Contributer

If you are just looking for Bluetooth connectivity for your cellphone than I believe the Scala Rider is the way to go. I am looking at getting a Garmin Street Pilot 2820 which includes GPS, MP3 capabilities and XM radio and it is all accessible through Bluetooth. I believe the only Bluetooth option for "quality" stereo sound is a headset from J&M Corporation. I have used their wired headsets in helmets for years when I had the Goldwing, they make quality gear. They have released their Bluetooth headsets.

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30

J&M Bluetooth Wireless Helmet Headsets

* Featuring high audio output, these are full-fidelity “true stereo†Bluetooth wireless helmet headsets.

* Headsets will link to most Bluetooth enabled audio devices available today.

* Head unit is powered by a rechargeable Lithium Ion/Polymer battery pack.

* Universal clamp-on mounting style, J&M headset part#’s HS-BLU277-FF, HS-BLU277-OF, or HS-BLU277-FL.

* Includes wired intercom feature to passenger’s standard J&M dual mode helmet headset for seamless and simultaneous driver/passenger communications.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I asked a similar question of the dealer here in Melbourne, Australia. I was told that the bluetooth system is not imported into Australia because the foil/metallic Australian Standards sticker on the left rear of the helmet interferes with reception, and they are not allowed to move the sticker at all, no matter what.

I've been using the Scala Rider for about a year now with various cell phones and a TomTom Rider and a Garmin Zumo. My wife can understand me up to about 70 mph. It's a good solid unit - mine still works after my head went through the windshield on a truck :P I paid abotu 89 for mine, but can't remember where I got it.

Archived