Sidi Vertigo Air Boot ?

Jon28

To all that own a pair, will the Sidi's break in and expand a bit? Here is my dilemma: I always wear a size 13 but these Sidi's are quite tight on the front and my toes feel cramped. I had a pair of Oxtars that wear a 13 and fit great. I also have a pair of timberland boots in a 12 wide so go figure. After doing some research (should have done more in hindsight) it would seem the 14 Sidi will not help my wide feet. I measured my feet and at the base of my toes at the widest spot is right at 4 1/2 inches and my feet are 11' in length. Hopefully somebody on here has had a similar issue

To all that own a pair, will the Sidi's break in and expand a bit? Here is my dilemma: I always wear a size 13 but these Sidi's are quite tight on the front and my toes feel cramped. I had a pair of Oxtars that wear a 13 and fit great. I'm trying to decide if I should get some 14's...of course they will probably be too big with my luck.

What european size did you get? 48?

• Member Contributer

No personal experience here, but I'm fairly new to biking so I've been doing a bit of reading on gear and it seems like the general opinion is that Sidi's and Setup (size D width) tend to be a bit on the narrow side where as Oxtar's tend to be a bit wider...almost an E width. Maybe the boot is just too narrow for you even though the length is right?

• Member Contributer
To all that own a pair, will the Sidi's break in and expand a bit? Here is my dilemma: I always wear a size 13 but these Sidi's are quite tight on the front and my toes feel cramped. I had a pair of Oxtars that wear a 13 and fit great. I'm trying to decide if I should get some 14's...of course they will probably be too big with my luck.

I have a pair of Oxtars and a pair of Sidis. The Sidis run one size small re the Oxtar - and I think it was the newenough.com site that confirmed this in one of its writeups. I wear size 44 Oxtar, size 45 Sidi.

Jack

• Member Contributer

European boot companies all use their own last. So the shape may vary a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some are narrow in the front and wide in the back. Others are just the opposite.

Gotta try them on to be sure.

I have several pairs of Sidi boots. I wouldn't expect them to stretch too much.

Guest jgombos

I'm so glad I noticed this thread. I must get a pair of these things. So many boots out there sufficate the foot.

What materials are these Sidis made of? Lorica was mentioned somewhere. According to the wiki it's like chain mail.. that can't be right. This site has me thinking it's like a European version of aramid (aka kevlar). I've been looking for an air mesh kevlar boot - I believe this is the closest thing to it.

Take the original inserts out and replace them with a thinner odour eating variety...

The original inserts in the sidis and oxtars I have were quite thick and after making a mistake with size once I actually take the inserts out when I try the boots on at the shop

Hope this idea helps ya

PS: unrelated advice off topic but I also stuff boots with newspaper when I take them off absorbs the moisture, keeps em nice stops em smelling... everyone should do this

PS: unrelated advice off topic but I also stuff boots with newspaper when I take them off absorbs the moisture, keeps em nice stops em smelling... everyone should do this

Good idea!

• Member Contributer

I just got my pair of Vertigo Airs today and agree that the Sidi's are definitely a narrower fit boot....certainly narrower than my A-Star SMX plus'.................I don't have wide feet so they're fine for me, but if you do the, Sidi's may not be the best choice???

I've got the Vertigo Corsa Air model. Mine fit perfectly right out of the box. They show no evidence of stretching after several long tours that included a lot of walking. I actually hadn't planned to walk much in them, but they are so comfortable that I didn't bother to change to sneakers when I got off the bike. If yours feel tight, you should probably exchange for the next larger size.

• Member Contributer

Get the 49 (14)... I usually wear a 13, but the 14 SIDI fit me like a glove. I have worn them for over 1000 miles of riding and a few miles of walking and they haven't stretched much at all.

<_< I only wish I knew this before. The oxtars are much wider and as some of you have guessed I have a wife clubfoot :P So I will try the 14 and hopefully that will work, otherwise I will buy a pair of A-Stars which hopefully will be on the same size wavelength as Oxtar is!

I hate buying shoes currently I have: 2 nikes size 14, timberland boots size 12W, Danner boots 13E, Work boots 13, and a pair of narrow Sidi's 13~!

• Member Contributer
My experience with the Vertigo boot is that you will get very little, if any, stretch in the upper material.

:blink:

I have ridden about 3000 miles since I got my Sidi Vertigo boots and they do not feel any different than the day I bought them.

If I am not mistaken most of Sidi's boots are made of a synthetic material called Lorica...

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/motorcycle/ar..._ID=MVVERTIGOCA

Recommended for warm, sunny weather.

Produced in breathable Lorica for enhanced breathability.

Tecno VR System

Air intake

Shock absorbing heel

Replaceable nylon shin deflector

Rubber sole

Lined with air Teflon mesh

All boot components are replaceable.

From http://www.motonation.com/sidifaqs.htm

Does Motonation carry any boots that are not manufactured with leather?

Many of the Sidi boots are available in Lorica a synthetic material that Sidi believes actually out performs leather in most applications. Please note the specs on each model for its base material. Models constructed with a Sympatex waterproof membrane and constructed with top grain leather outer as it works best in conjunction with Sympatex.

What is Lorica?

A small town in western Pennsylvania.

Actually, Lorica is a synthetic material used on many models of Sidi boots. It has better abrasion protection than leather; it also stretches a bit less over the long run.

See also: http://www.loricasud.com/

• Member Contributer

Just received a pair of the Sidi B2. Nice boot but they do feel a bit narrow, and my toes are slightly crowded in spite of the fact that the size feels correct otherwise. My Oxtars are far more comfortable. For what it's worth, I wear a size 10 shoe. My Oxtars are 43's and the Sidi's are 44's.

Thanks for the replies.....as my frustration grows....well I'm not convinced a size 14 Sidi is my answer since my feet are more wide vs. long. So looks like I will be going with a pair of Alpinestars.....gheesh. And of course most of their boots only go up to 12.5 which may or may not fit. What a PITA

According to Sidi's own sizing chart, a 48 should fit up to 13.5.

I would think that they'll stretch a little, but not a whole lot.

FYI, The Sidi Airs are most likely made out of the synthetic leather material called Lorica. It might not stretch at all as leather does through wear. At least not enough to make a difference in comfort.

Beck

95 VFR

Guest jgombos
FYI, The Sidi Airs are most likely made out of the synthetic leather material called Lorica.

I am suddenly unimpressed with these boots.

I noticed two different European companies are using the same "Lorica" brand name, both for textiles. I'm surprised the European trademark laws allow it.

Thanks to rjstaaf, we know an Italian company makes a synthetic leather called Lorica (http://www.loricasud.com/). A British company makes an aramid (Kevlar) analogue called Lorica (http://www.lorica-research.com/vest.htm). Consumers buying motorcycle armor could easily get the two mixed up and think they're dealing with the wrong material.

If the Vertigo Air is really just the (untested and unproven) synthetic leather from Italy, it's suddenly much less appealing to me. Since boots can easily get trapped under the weight of the bike sliding on asphalt, fake leather doesn't cut it. For all we know, this artificial leather could melt - since it does contain polyurethane.

...back on my search for Kevlar mesh boots.

I'm so glad I noticed this thread. I must get a pair of these things. So many boots out there sufficate the foot.

What materials are these Sidis made of? Lorica was mentioned somewhere. According to the wiki it's like chain mail.. that can't be right. This site has me thinking it's like a European version of aramid (aka kevlar). I've been looking for an air mesh kevlar boot - I believe this is the closest thing to it.

From Sidi's website:

"LORICA is high-technology material based on a remarkable combination of ultra-fine micro-fibres. This mesh of micro-fibres is then treated with special resins to create a microporous structure which, like the col-lagen in natural leather, gives Lorica a high degree of durability, softness and breathability."

It's basically a synthetic leather.

Cheers,

Rob

• Member Contributer
Thanks to rjstaaf, we know an Italian company makes a synthetic leather called Lorica (http://www.loricasud.com/). A British company makes an aramid (Kevlar) analogue called Lorica (http://www.lorica-research.com/vest.htm). Consumers buying motorcycle armor could easily get the two mixed up and think they're dealing with the wrong material.

If the Vertigo Air is really just the (untested and unproven) synthetic leather from Italy, it's suddenly much less appealing to me. Since boots can easily get trapped under the weight of the bike sliding on asphalt, fake leather doesn't cut it. For all we know, this artificial leather could melt - since it does contain polyurethane.

Sidi boots are worn racers from every series and I can't imagine how you can say they are untested and unproven.

It is your money and your call though but, I think you are jumping the gun....

Here is a pair of those untested, unproven boots on the feet of Loris Capirossi from the recent MotoGP race in Brno :D

capirossi.jpg

Do a search of your own, you will find Sidi boots on riders in every series. I can't iamagine a better place to test a boot...

Here are a couple of links to Motonation with more information on Sidi boots..

http://www.motonation.com/vertigotechnology.asp

http://www.motonation.com/vertigo.asp

I'd say Sidi is the best made boot on the market......too bad for me not engineered for a wide foot. Hence forth I will end up with a pair of A-Stars which are also well made.

• Member Contributer
I'd say Sidi is the best made boot on the market......too bad for me not engineered for a wide foot. Hence forth I will end up with a pair of A-Stars which are also well made.

FWIW, as I mentioned above I've got a pair of SMX+'s too which I would definitely recommend........In general I'd say they are a superior boot to the Vertigo airs I just got(only worn them once to be fair) in terms of comfort and overall protection. wink.gif

Guest jgombos
Sidi boots are worn racers from every series and I can't imagine how you can say they are untested and unproven.
When I said "untested and unproven", I was thinking in terms of tear strength and abrasion resistence.. not so much performance. If they are commonly used on track racing, then that's adequite proof for me that they function well under normal circumstances (that is, when not sliding on asphalt at 100 mph pinned under a bike on a 110 degree day).

But what about when they are crash tested? There are a bazillion ways to crash without getting useful test results on a boot. The test I was looking for was an abrasion and tear test on the material itself. Here are the numbers for natural leather (competition grade):

Pounds of force to tear: 80-110

Abrasion cycles on pavement until fabric fails: 1200-1700

I'd like to know how the Lorica used on the Vertigo air boot compares to those numbers. Couldn't find a single number. I only found propaganda like "very high abrasion resistence".

FYI, Sidi boots are CE approved. Not just in terms of one component of a boot(i.e. armor etc.) but the entire boot. There aren't too many manufacturers period in which the entire garment is CE approved.
That sounds good, but I don't know the first thing about what CE approved means, and googling gets mass false positives. What's involved in a CE approval?

Guest jgombos
FWIW, as I mentioned above I've got a pair of SMX+'s too which I would definitely recommend........In general I'd say they are a superior boot to the Vertigo airs I just got(only worn them once to be fair) in terms of comfort and overall protection. wink.gif

I noticed the SMX Plus is also made with Lorica. Why do you say they protect more? And how are they more comfortable? Do they breathe better?

I'm suspecting that one of my feet will be too wide for the Vertigo Air since the OP mentioned that they're narrow, so I'm trying to keep an eye out for boots that are forgiving on wide feet.

Archived