Problems with Lindemann?

Guest VFRbar

Guest VFRbar

Anyone else have problems with Lindemann Engineering? I ordered a WP 3-way shock from them in January and was quoted 8-10 weeks on delivery. After a $250 deposit and more than 15 weeks waiting, I still have no shock. I called early last week about the status of my order and Jim had no idea where it was. After a full business week, he still could not give me an answer.

I've heard good things about this business on VFRD, but I'm getting ready to pull the plug on this deal and take my business elsewhere if this does not resolve quickly. I've ordered things from Europe before and didn't have to wait anywhere near 15 weeks to receive my purchase. Under the very best circumstances, I'll be waiting another 2-3 weeks. Has anyone else ordered a WP shock from Lindemann this spring and actually taken delivery on one of the units?

Having my bike out of commission all spring has left me pretty deflated, especially after seeing the fun everyone had at the TexasMac ride that I wanted to attend. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

The problem is with WP, not LE. I'm in the holding pattern as well.

LE has one of the best reputations out there. People will squabble over Dan Kyle and Max McAllister, but not really LE...

I'll buy that. The thing that really appeals to me is a 3-way shock that is $300+ cheaper than a Penske. Seems that Lindemann is selling WP on a price point and then customers have to put up with the erratic delivery times. Wish I would have known this up front. Would have just gotten the Penske 2-way and been done with it. Now that I've waited this long, I really want the WP.... but I don't know how much longer I am willing to wait.

I think that if Lindemann wants to keep their sterling reputation, they had better resolve their WP vendor issues.

• Member Contributer
I think that if Lindemann wants to keep their sterling reputation, they had better resolve their WP vendor issues.

I ordered a WP shock from LE and received it in the advertised time frame. I would think that this is prime racing season for teams and WP is probably swamped with support for them. I think LE is at their mercy.

As far as price point, that's what sold me on the WP. Better adjustablity than Ohlins, cheaper than Penske. I figured where else could I save 30-50% by

waiting?

Mine works fine, as I'm still in the tweaking stage. Of course, I'm Goober and I'm dealing with a piece of equipment from the space shuttle ....... :wheel:

• Member Contributer
I ordered a WP shock from LE and received it in the advertised time frame.  I would think that this is prime racing season for teams and WP is probably swamped with support for them.  I think LE is at their mercy.

Bingo. They support a lot of teams...notice that people who ordered over the winter got theirs pretty quickly. Jim Lindemann told me that WP will get to it as they can, but, it is race time and they build these as orders come in. They're obviously not embracing lean six sigma...but it is what it is for us :wheel:

Should also note that he made it very, very clear that its up in the air as to when it will get here...two months and some weeks is only when it "should" be here.

As far as price point, that's what sold me on the WP.  Better adjustablity than Ohlins, cheaper than Penske.  I figured where else could I save 30-50% by

waiting?

It was the price plus the race record that did it for me. I was going to get a different shock for a little more, but WP has a much more impressive recent race history.

Is the other shock as good? Probably, maybe even better, who knows? I'm not buying both to find out, and without some kind of quantifiable data out there comparing all of these VFR shocks such as damping force (I've never seen such a comparison for any bike), this was good enough for me.

My rear shock currently has a Hyperpro spring on it, which will balance out the front end no matter what I do with it. Bikes sprung heavier forward than aft feel like scooters...won't have that issue The stock damper also has enough rebound range with the Hyperpro to over and underdamp (yes, I know those terms mean nothing with a non-linear system but that's the best description), which is good enough for now.

I appreciate everyone's allegiance to LE; evidently, they do good work. And if I had ordered the shock in March or April, I guess I wouldn't be so discontent. However, I ordered mine in the winter, January to be specific. And I don't agree with the line of reasoning that it is WP's racing season, therefore, consumers should expect delays. Do Penske, Ohlins, Wilbers, etc not offer similar support to their racing teams? What makes WP racing support so special? I know someone who ordered an Ohlins in late March and had it delivered to his door in less than two weeks. My understanding is that Ohlins does a fair amount of race support.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on Lindemann, but I was quoted 8-10 weeks and in fact, when speaking with Jim during my initial order, I joking said that "8-10 weeks was fine but I didn't want to wait until June to take delivery." He laughed and said he guaranteed it would be here before then. Well, June is approaching fast.

I am really looking forward to this shock, and as others have attested, I know that Lindemann's work will be top quality. All I can say to those who are deciding on a new shock, when it comes to WP, caveat emptor!

• Member Contributer

Hi-jack!!! (apologies)

Not that I'm in a big hurry to order after reading of your problems, but do they offer these for 5th gens? I see from Honda's microfiche that part numbers for 5th and 6th gen rear shocks are definitely different, but I wonder if the differences are confined to minor spring rate or valving changes. Are they physically interchangeable?

No problem. I've probably beat this dead horse too long anyways. They do offer one for 5th gen. If you have a functional OEM shock, it might be worth the wait simply for the $$ saved. My OEM is leaking fluid badly, so until mine arrives, I am SOL.

Just sent PM back to ya VFRBar. I just received my WP from Lindeman. I ordered mine in February and received it it May. He gave me the standard 2 months and it "should" be here. I started calling him 2 weeks ago and he strikes me as one of those guys that are great at what they do, working on, building, racing shocks....but leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to running a business. He wasn't the promptest at returning phone calls or knowing exactly where my order was. He did leave me a message one day saying the shock was in the Mid-West somewhere and he was trying to track it down. When I called him back he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. <_< If my shock didn't show up, I would have been a bit frustrated as you are. As far as "racing season", it does start in February for most of these guys...getting ready for racing in April. WP is a small company, compared to Ohlins and I'm sure that their resources are spread a bit think this time of year.

Hang in there on the shock. I hope your's arrives soon.

John

Just sent PM back to ya VFRBar.  I just received my WP from Lindeman.  I ordered mine in February and received it it May.  He gave me the standard 2 months and it "should" be here.  I started calling him 2 weeks ago and he strikes me as one of those guys that are great at what they do, working on, building, racing shocks....but leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to running a business. He wasn't the promptest at returning phone calls or knowing exactly where my order was.  He did leave me a message one day saying the shock was in the Mid-West somewhere and he was trying to track it down.  When I called him back he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.  <_<  If my shock didn't show up, I would have been a bit frustrated as  you are.  As far as "racing season", it does start in February for most of these guys...getting ready for racing in April.  WP is a small company, compared to Ohlins and I'm sure that their resources are spread a bit think this time of year.

Hang in there on the shock.  I hope your's arrives soon.

John

One guy orders his in Jan and has not got it yet, you order in Feb from the same guy and yours comes in? Does this only seem odd to me?

• 1 month later...

Hmmm,,,, I ordered my Ohlins from www.hardracing.com and had it (even after being resprung for free) in less than 5 days..... Nice! Plus they matched the best price I could find on the web. This is the second Ohlins that I've purchased from them. Great customer service to boot!

Archived