Shim stack, how do you build one ?

Baileyrock

Does anyone know a good source of shim stack specs for Re-valving stock Comp. & Rebound valve stacks.

I have Aftershocks forks on my 02 now, but plan on a frankenviffer revamp of the bike and plan on removing the linked brakes and run a fully adjustable F4i front end. I want to revalve the F4 forks and re-spring them before installing them and need stack info for a better set-up.

Anyone know anything in this area.

The F4 forks already have a different number of shims and twice as many rebound(?) holes in the cartridge. They come stock with VFR like soft spring in the .730kg range.

I have no plans on replacing the stock Valves, because some people like Phil at aftershocks say they work fine when used with a proper shim stack and that Ohlins uses similar small orifice valves in their forks.

• Member Contributer
Does anyone know a good source of shim stack specs for Re-valving stock Comp. & Rebound valve stacks.

I have Aftershocks forks on my 02 now, but plan on a frankenviffer revamp of the bike and plan on removing the linked brakes and run a fully adjustable F4i front end.  I want to revalve the F4 forks and re-spring them before installing them and need stack info for a better set-up.

The F4 forks already have a different number of shims and twice as many rebound(?) holes in the cartridge.  They come stock with VFR like soft spring in the .730kg range.

I have no plans on replacing the stock Valves, because some people like Phil at aftershocks say they work fine when used with a proper shim stack and that Ohlins uses similar small orifice valves in their forks.

I built my own shim stacks back in my MX racing days... I could help but I'd have to see

it in person...

I built my own shim stacks back in my MX racing days... I could help but I'd have to see

it in person...

Hey Larry, thanks.

I could tell you the number and size of the stock stacks. Seems that Honda tends to come under sprung and over dampend, just not sure where and when, Comp, or Rebound ? Also the F4 is valved and sprung for a much lighter bike and I'm 190lbs too. I would like to be near the middle of ideal of the forks adjustments if possible.

I have Aftershocks forks on my 02 now, but plan on a frankenviffer revamp of the bike and plan on removing the linked brakes and run a fully adjustable F4i front end.? I want to revalve the F4 forks and re-spring them before installing them and need stack info for a better set-up.

The F4 forks already have a different number of shims and twice as many rebound(?) holes in the cartridge.? They come stock with VFR like soft spring in the .730kg range.

Hey Bailey, I hope this works out well for you! I am in the process of swapping a full 2005 CBR600RR suspension onto my F4i, which will leave me with a complete F4i front end, complete with brakes and everything. I was thinking I could swap the internals over to the VFR, but if it'd be easier and/or better to swap the whole front end in, I'll do that :thumbsup:

Here's a pre-carnage shot:

Interceptor060.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

New York winters are MUCH too long wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Mr. Bailey,

My notes are as follows:

For the compression shim stack

9 17mm X .15mm

10mm clamping shim

For the rebound shim stack

1 17mm X 0.15mm shim

1 inner preload shim

1 outer preload shim

2 17mm X 0.15mm shims

10mm clamping shim

There are some nuances to putting this kludge together. I recommend you go to, if you have not already done so, Peter Verdon's Website. It is chock full of source material. As all of my notes are of the hardcopy kind I cannot send you the electrons. Let me know if you have any further questions.

After I had done all of the research to do what you are planning I decided to just give up and install some F4i internals and some Traxxion stuff. This worked for me.

Oh yeah more thing HS had some stack info here awhile ago. what with this new fangled software it may ne gone now.

Joe

• Forum CEO

Bailey from what work I have done on my forks, You can probably get by with removing a shim on the compression stack and putting another on the rebound stack. I have been looking for my notes. I also have an assortment of honda shims from the f3 forks I took apart, as far as I know they still use the same vavles and the same diameter cassette.

I read some on guys drilling out the small holes in the valves a bit bigger and then adding more shims. From what I remember the rebound shims where all the same size.

Hey Bailey, I hope this works out well for you! I am in the process of swapping a full 2005 CBR600RR suspension onto my F4i, which will leave me with a complete F4i front end, complete with brakes and everything. I was thinking I could swap the internals over to the VFR, but if it'd be easier and/or better to swap the whole front end in, I'll do that :thumbsup:

I think the F4i started using a different front wheel and rotors than the F4. The F4 forks are shorter than VFR forks, but usable and the rotors are the same as the VFR800. You can use F4/F4i forks, stock VFR front wheel and rotors w/ f4 calipers and master cyl. if your willing to delink your brakes. That alone will save you a min. of 10 lbs of crap.

Don't you have a VFR too?

I think the F4i started using a different front wheel and rotors than the F4.  The F4 forks are shorter than VFR forks, but usable and the rotors are the same as the VFR800.  You can use F4/F4i forks, stock VFR front wheel and rotors w/ f4 calipers and master cyl. if your willing to delink your brakes. That alone will save you a min. of 10 lbs of crap.

Don't you have a VFR too?

The only differences between the F4 and F4i are fuel injection, and a two-seat setup on the F4i from 01-03, as opposed to the carburation and one-piece seat on the F4. The one-piece seat/subframe/taillight came back on the 04-up models. The F4/F4i used newer rotors and slightly larger wheels than their predecessor, the F3.

I am very willing to de-link my brakes! Looking forward to having ss lines on the viffer w/o the expense of a 14-piece kit :beer: , this will also require the use of a new rear master, correct? F4/F4i units have been used for this, correct?

I haven't taken any measurements yet, are the axles the same on the F4/VFR? Or is a wheel bearing swap neccessary? The F4(i) forks can't be too much shorter if folks have been using the internals for the VFR, right?

Yes, I did recently buy my 05 VFR, I've had the F4i for two years now, and I'm loving life, if it would just warm up here so I could break it in :joystick:

Interceptor046.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Interceptor063.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

The only differences between the F4 and F4i are fuel injection, and a two-seat setup on the F4i from 01-03, as opposed to the carburation and one-piece seat on the F4. The one-piece seat/subframe/taillight came back on the 04-up models. The F4/F4i used newer rotors and slightly larger wheels than their predecessor, the F3.

I am very willing to de-link my brakes! Looking forward to having ss lines on the viffer w/o the expense of a 14-piece kit :blink: , this will also require the use of a new rear master, correct? F4/F4i units have been used for this, correct?

I haven't taken any measurements yet, are the axles the same on the F4/VFR? Or is a wheel bearing swap neccessary? The F4(i) forks can't be too much shorter if folks have been using the internals for the VFR, right?

You will find that the F4i uses different rotors/wheel than an F4 and the forks also have different spring rates( not by much). F4 and VFR rotors are the same, F4i are not(different bolt pattern size). F4/F4i forks are interchangable , wheels and rotors are not! The front axle are the same F4/VFR so no problem there.

I haven't figured out the rear brakes yet, I would just start out using the stock master and caliper, but plugging and removing the second Linked line and all the proportioning valves and lines.

The internals are also shorter and have been a concern of some builders in using them on a VFR fork, but it's been done ! :beer:

You will find that the F4i uses different rotors/wheel than an F4 and the forks also have different spring rates( not by much).  F4 and VFR rotors are the same, F4i are not(different bolt pattern size). F4/F4i forks are interchangable , wheels and rotors are not!  The front axle are the same F4/VFR so no problem there.

I haven't figured out the rear brakes yet, I would just start out using the stock master and caliper, but plugging and removing the second Linked line and all the proportioning valves and lines.

The internals are also shorter and have been a concern of some builders in using them on a VFR fork, but it's been done ! :beer:

Ah, you are correct! The F4i pattern is slightly larger. Not that it matters, you just use the VFR parts I guess. smile.gif

Ah, you are correct! The F4i pattern is slightly larger. Not that it matters, you just use the VFR parts I guess.

Well of course ! :goofy:

Just kidding, I have been researching this for years just never acted on it yet. :huh:

I found some interesting reading on the RR forks, seems that they are quite different than any other Honda forks and actually have 3 valve circuits(high,low, and now "Mid" speed) instead of the normal 2. Also they say you can't use the normal method for setting Sag.

I looked at using RR forks, but it would require the RR brakes, wheel and rotors too! Different from even your F4i. :beer:

Well  of course ! :goofy: 

Just kidding, I have been researching this for years just never acted on it yet. :huh:

I found some interesting reading on the RR forks, seems that they are quite different than any other Honda forks and actually have 3 valve circuits(high,low, and now "Mid" speed) instead of the normal 2.  Also they say you can't use the normal method for setting Sag.

I looked at using RR forks, but it would require the RR brakes, wheel and rotors too! Different from even your F4i. :beer:

Yes, largely in part due to the change to radial brakes. Stock rotors for the rr are about 290mm, I'm using 330mm from a 929. The 929,954,rc51,f4i share bolt patterns and offsets, the only differences lie with the diameter, this I know for sure. Any late model Tokico calipers will fit the rr mounts, they are a standard size. For example, gsxr, r1/r6, ninja, and cbr front calipers can be interchanged. I know for sure the Yammie units are one-piece, not sure if they are made by Tokico, cause they look different. My F4i will be a whole new animal, now how to get an extra 30 hp?....

See post #5.

I PM'ed you about that yesterday and never heard back. sad.gif

What is that stack for ? Any Honda, a VFR, a CBR ? And thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I PM'ed you about that yesterday and never heard back. sad.gif

What is that stack for ? Any Honda, a VFR, a CBR ?  And thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Uhhh...sorry. I hadn't noticed the PM.

This stack was designed for a VFR/F4i combination. Let me read the PM and get back to you.

Uhhh...sorry.  I hadn't noticed the PM.

This stack was designed for a VFR/F4i combination.  Let me read the PM and get back to you.

I've shot off a pair of test emails to see if I got that address right ? :huh:

:beer:

Archived