DIY Brake Light Modulator

enzed_viffer

• Member Contributer
you want your kids to be flashers???? :huh:

is it possible to have a unit that flashes s.o.s in morris code when you hit the brakes?  or  "you are too damn close"  in morris code of course??

While in college, one of our digital electronics projects was to create a moving sign.

We placed a row of LED's on a stick, and programmed the LED's to light in a certain sequence.

It you waved the stick back-and-forth at the proper speed, your eyes would create a message out of the entire space that you were waving the stick in.

Now if you could get a motor to wave a stick on the back of the bike just right:

Instant message board ! :huh:

Oh, the messages that you could give to the driver behind you....

• Member Contributer
you want your kids to be flashers???? :huh:

They already went through the 'streaker' phase where they ran around the house yelling 'NAKED PARTY' :lol:

How about this sequence ? The average stoplight lasts 30 seconds so I think you could get it all in.

..-. ..- -.-. -.- --- ..-. ..-.

If you build it, they will come.

• Member Contributer

If you posted the parts list and wiring diagram, one of my best buds is an EE at the local university...he oughtta be able to do the programming for me.

• Member Contributer
While in college, one of our digital electronics projects was to create a moving sign.

We placed a row of LED's on a stick, and programmed the LED's to light in a certain sequence.

It you waved the stick back-and-forth at the proper speed, your eyes would create a message out of the entire space that you were waving the stick in.

Now if you could get a motor to wave a stick on the back of the bike just right:

Instant message board ! :huh:

Oh, the messages that you could give to the driver behind you....

Not that I even have to say this because you have probably alredy seen it, but they do have scrolling led license plates on the market.. tharkun has one on his Gold Wing and is potentially buying one for his VFR... It is awesome... you can program like three different lines, and it is activated via a push button. ie.. Someone riding your arse.. clicky button thingy.. scrolling statement that tells them in some non-gestured way to push back or feel the WRATH... :huh:

Similar to this one...

• Member Contributer
Nice to have kids who can do the heavy...not to expensive lifting for you there Enzed? Mine are 10 and 14 so still a few years before I get to pick their brains to make my life easier...

G$

BS! thats the best time to coax creativity out of a child before they are programmed in some packaged way by a highschool or college instructor. I'm a big believer in education but I see too many college students and even high school students just repeating what their favorite teacher says and not really looking at the issue for themselves. Children are the very, very best at thinking outside the box.

Where can I get one of those scrolling liscense plates?

Guest seadooloo

Do you guy's really want someone to be trying to read your sign on your license plate? It seems to me, that could be inviting some nearsighted person to rear end you while they are trying to read your sign that says "back off".

Anyway, getting back on topic. I like the idea of a brakelight quickly flashing at first, gradually slowing down, and then steady on. Great idea!

Guest VFRROBIN

my wife's road king has the flasher unit. plus i added two additional brake/running lights. it flashes three times ,then goes to steady on.

it is real noticable.

R

Do you guy's really want someone to be trying to read your sign on your license plate? It seems to me, that could be inviting some nearsighted person to rear end you while they are trying to read your sign that says "back off".

That's apparently why tail-light flashers are currently illegal here: target fixation.

Strangely though, the SafetyNazis are now talking about making headlight and taillight modulators (and fluro clothes) compulsory for motorcyclists.

Anyway, getting back on topic. I like the idea of a brakelight quickly flashing at first, gradually slowing down, and then steady on. Great idea!

I stole it. Reminds me though - I must uninstall my flasher and get the micro reprogrammed to do that. Should be.... oooh... a 10-minute job. smile.gif

Guest 767fixer
They already went through the 'streaker' phase where they ran around the house yelling 'NAKED PARTY'  :lol:

How about this sequence ? The average stoplight lasts 30 seconds so I think you could get it all in.

..-. ..- -.-.  -.- --- ..-. ..-.

If you build it, they will come.

that would not be good because

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -. --- - / -. .. -.-. . / .- -. -.. / -.-. .- -. / --. . - / -.-- --- ..- / .. -. / .- / .-- --- .-. .-.. -.. / --- ..-. / - .-. --- ..- -... .-.. . / .. ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / ... .- .. -.. / - .... .- - / - --- / - .... . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / .--. . .-. ... --- -.

• Member Contributer

I'd like a parts list, circuit diagram and code if possible. I might be able to source an EPROM programmer somwhere around here. Thanks,

Matt Roth

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
I guess it depends on what percentage of the population knows Morse, and if they have a sense of humor wink.gif

It's tough to do Morse on the fly sometimes...how about

... - --- .--. / .-. .. -.. .. -. --. / -- -.-- / .- ... ... / -... .. - -.-. ....

:mellow:

Whelp, I finally got TheDave to reprogram the micro a few weeks ago. It now flashes rapidly, slowing down to a steady on. It took several iterations of the code before I said, "Yeah, that'll do." Not exactly how I wanted it, but near enuff. I had him add a few extra flashes too, to extend the BlinkyTime. He replaced the micro ("They're pretty cheap, and I dunno if it's getting tired yet..."), and while it was all off, I replaced the horrible bullet connectors on the taillight wiring and the flasher unit with a couple of male/female 2-pin plugs.

Apart from installing a fuse board and louder horn(s), I think I'm about done with LeckTrickleFarkling now, although I know where I can get a cheap motorcycle alarm...