Soft Luggage for 6th Gen

Guest Mokupono

Guest Mokupono

Greetings All,

I'm looking for some recommendations on soft luggage. I have an '03 with Remus CF exhausts. I don't "think" I'll have a heating problem with soft bags strapped on. All the soft bags I've seen have a heat shield on the bottom. I just want to be sure there isn't anything else out there that can accomodate undertail exhausts.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure of your reasoning for wanting soft luggage, (fitment with the pipes, size possibly), but I purchased a new set of Honda hard bags for $195 British pounds, ($400 US approx.??) from David Silver Spares in England for my silver '03. You might want to consider them.

Just a thought.

Danny

OEM hard bags at David Silvers Spares is definitely the way to go. As an alternernative to a trunk look at this

http://www.cycleventure.com/fitments/displ...?fitment_id=577

I have both and they work great together. 115 liters of total capacity and I can still tour 2 up if I want to.

I do have soft luggage on my '02. I wasn't sure if I'd use luggage enough to warrant the expense of the hard bags. If you can pop for them, do the hard bags. I went with the Nelson Rigg deluxe saddlebags (partly because I already had a matching duffle that buckles onto the saddlebags) They have worked great and are solid over 100mph. The only issue I had was the nylon strap that needs to go under the tail to connect the rear of the two bags together to help stability. Unfortunately, it was cooked on the first tour I took. Though, the bags stayed nice and steady the rest of the tour and I haven't fashioned a new strap yet. That's probably the only natty issue with bags, is the undertail strap.

I've had horrible experience with soft luggage and don't recommend it at all. My Joe Rocket bags fell off and were drug at about 75mph for a good quarter mile, luckily not tangling themselves in my rear wheel. They were mounted properly, but the velcro decided to give way, making me less than happy. Even worse was when I got to my destination and found that they had rubbed a fair amount of paint off of my rear fairing. I ended up getting the hard bags through davidsilverspares.com and am very happy with them. If you're not in a situation to throw more money at your bike, I have to recommend a tankbag/tailbag/backpack. I'll send you some pictures of the great black wearmarks on my silver '03 if you need any more incentive. I'd gladly have taken a little back pain with a backpack over the pain of looking at that wearmark every time I get on my VFR.

Greetings All,

I'm looking for some recommendations on soft luggage. I have an '03 with Remus CF exhausts. I don't "think" I'll have a heating problem with soft bags strapped on. All the soft bags I've seen have a heat shield on the bottom. I just want to be sure there isn't anything else out there that can accomodate undertail exhausts.

Thanks in advance.

I was not sure about the soft bags as well but did not want to spend the money on hard bags. So I made a rack to hold the saddle bags and added 3 big velcro strips to each bag to make sure they did not fly off at +200 kmh. I also have a mag. tank bag, it all works great. 2 summers of riding and no damage to the bike or bags.

gallery_2477_854_776555.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

111_1195.JPG

gallery_2477_854_368013.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

111_1191.b.JPG

I'm not sure of your reasoning for wanting soft luggage, (fitment with the pipes, size possibly), but I purchased a new set of Honda hard bags for $195 British pounds, ($400 US approx.??) from David Silver Spares in England for my silver '03.  You might want to consider them.

Just a thought.

Danny

Like JP55 said, I don't do much touring so spending $400+ on something I won't use that often doesn't make sense. If I buy the hard bags they'll just collect dust.

I was not sure about the soft bags as well but did not want to spend the money on hard bags. So I made a rack to hold the saddle bags and added 3 big velcro strips to each bag to make sure they did not fly off at +200 kmh. I also have a mag. tank bag, it all works great. 2 summers of riding and no damage to the bike or bags.

Poncho,

What did you use to make the racks? Any instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest eastbaylarry

I did a 7500 mile trip with soft bags, no problems. I used some steel tubing and made stays that I bolted to the rear foot peg brackets. I took me only a few hours to cut, bend and paint the tubes, and only about $20 in materials. Great solution if you're on a limited budget like me. I've had hard bags on other bikes and its nice to have something to lock.

I'll try to post pictures soon.

Guest montero1
Greetings All,

Thanks in advance.

I have the Cortech Tourmaster 3-piece set , and an extra capacity Tourmaster tank bag- works great, comes off in 15 seconds, goes on in 30 seconds. This last week, I took a weeks worth of clothes, a quart of oil, a six foot Kryptonite chain, an extra pair of shoes, and some snacks and water- this is without the tank bag.........The 3-piece set for the rear was about $210 from Helmet Harbor- The tank bag was from Helmet Harbor Also, and was like $90.

Take a look in my gallery and you can see it all loaded up- There are no problems with the exhaust at all (stock at least)- The heat shields they come with can be touched by your palm after all day riding. That was the concern I had with getting soft luggage but I've had no problems, even after a 13 hour ride.

I have the Cortech Tourmaster 3-piece set , and an extra capacity Tourmaster tank bag- works great, comes off in 15 seconds, goes on in 30 seconds. This last week, I took a weeks worth of clothes, a quart of oil, a six foot Kryptonite chain, an extra pair of shoes, and some snacks and water- this is without the tank bag.........The 3-piece set for the rear was about $210 from Helmet Harbor- The tank bag was from Helmet Harbor Also, and was like $90.

Take a look in my gallery and you can see it all loaded up- There are no problems with the exhaust at all (stock at least)- The heat shields they come with can be touched by your palm after all day riding. That was the concern I had with getting soft luggage but I've had no problems, even after a 13 hour ride.

Montero,

I took a look at your gallery and the bags look like they fit fine. I assume you didnt have an issue with the straps going underneath the seat?

Thanks.

Close to 6,000-mile tour with my JR Sport Saddlebags and no issues. I did connect the top D rings with an X of bungee cords, which I called my "Anti-Sag Device". And, of course, a piece of tool box liner to protect the paint of the rear plastic.

Here's a pic: 4_divide.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer

I really like the Ventura Pack Rack system. You can fit two bags on the large rack and it all sits behind you, so it is very aerodynamic. Easy to get on and off the bike and it is very secure so you don't have to worry about it coming off during spirited riding.

I really like the Ventura Pack Rack system.  You can fit two bags on the large rack and it all sits behind you, so it is very aerodynamic.  Easy to get on and off the bike and it is very secure so you don't have to worry about it coming off during spirited riding.

Beat me to it. I've got the Ventura setup on my bike and couldn't be happier. I bought the 35 and 45 L bags and when they're used together, I've got scads of room for all my gear. Also takes about 10 seconds to remove the bags to take them inside the Hotel/Restaraunt, etc. so nothing gets stolen.

Saddlebags can be dangerous. I've heard too many stories about them coming loose and getting wedged in the rear wheel. I've had mine slouch down and get burned on the pipe, but luckily they never came off. After that, I swore off saddlebags forever.

ho029-2.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Guest montero1
Montero,

I took a look at your gallery and the bags look like they fit fine. I assume you didnt  have an issue with the straps going underneath the seat?

Thanks.

The straps don't go under the seat, they attach to the rear reflectors, and the passenger foot peg brackets- I'll get pics in a little bit and send them to you. The top bag snaps into the saddlebags.

Like JP55 said, I don't do much touring so spending $400+ on something I won't use that often doesn't make sense. If I buy the hard bags they'll just collect dust.

Poncho,

What did you use to make the racks? Any instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I used some steal round bar from a hardware store. If you heat the spot where you want to bend with a torch it will bend real easy. After weld or have it welded and some paint or powder coat. I was worried that the straps would rub and damage the paint so I made them so it would not touch the paint. I also picked up the velcro strap at a fabric store.

I think you should look for a rack that holds the hard bags. If you can pick up those at a good price it would be a good place to start. weld an extra piece on that rack and that should do the trick.

I have some more pic's posted in my gallery.

If you have more question you can PM me and I will do my best to help.

Good luck

I also used a couple of rubber washers.

+1 on the nelson rigg deluxe saddlebags with duffel bag. I also use a nelson rigg tank bag. Lately I've been just using the duffel bag with the buckle straps with hooks. Stable during commuting and pops off in 5 secs. Lifetime warranty.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Waterboy333
Greetings All,

Thanks in advance.

I found that the Fieldsheer Rio Saddles are quite nice. The only thing about them and any other soft saddles are that they will sag a little and may come in contact with the pipes. Your best bet is to make a brace of some sort to support them. The problem with that is the look of a piece of metal hanging on your beautiful bike. I went with Givi wing rack. It is a monster of a rack, and quite ugly when you don't have the bags on. However, I also have a pair of Givi hard bags that I use once in a while. If you leave the rack on and mount your soft bags, it keeps everything far away from paint and exhaust. Also consider it if you are ever going to use hard bags. :thumbsup:

Saddlebags can be dangerous. I've heard too many stories about them coming loose and getting wedged in the rear wheel.

Yeah.

A friend of mine no longer rides. He had a pristine Anniversary Edition VFR800 which is now destroyed. All he knows is the cops said he was doing about 120 km/h when the bag went in the back wheel. His recovery took months and months.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest squally

I think I'm sold on the Ventura system, can someone tell me how it attatches to the bike. Does the bracket attatch under the passenger handles? Do they attatch to the stock fender in any way? Thanks!

• Member Contributer
Montero,

I took a look at your gallery and the bags look like they fit fine. I assume you didnt  have an issue with the straps going underneath the seat?

Thanks.

Mokupono, take a look at this site,

http://www.motopakluggage.com

Canadian Company in Winipeg.

I just purchased the GTS-90 bags. They retail for 159.99 Cdn. but he often has items on ebay where I purchased mine for 99.99 US + shipping saved about 50.00 when all the dust settled.

The bags are a great deal for the money. They expand to 90 liters, come wit protective foam so it won't scratch your paint, rain covers fold out from zip compartment, shoulder straps etc.

Check it out.

fb

Back when I had my CBR, I used to tour with the Nelson Rigg interconnected saddlebag-tailpack system. I added two additional bungy coards for stability and found few problems when riding at speeds south of 70 mph. I also used the expandable Joe Rocket tank bag which was spacious but not particularly secure at such speeds.

Gosh do I ever love the new hard luggage on my Viffer!

Here's the old CBR all dressed up for touring...

gallery_5129_1117_262486.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

My old F4i ready to tour

Back when I had my CBR, I used to tour with the Nelson Rigg interconnected saddlebag-tailpack system.  I added two additional bungy coards for stability and found few problems when riding at speeds south of 70 mph.  I also used the expandable Joe Rocket tank bag which was spacious but not particularly secure at such speeds.

Gosh do I ever love the new hard luggage on my Viffer!

Here's the old CBR all dressed up for touring...

gallery_5129_1117_262486.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

My old F4i ready to tour

MDP - how the hell did you get on that bike with all the gear in place? wow - thats a site. :o

Yeah Ken, one had to be quite the acrobat to mount my old ride so to speak. It was actually quite comfy when on the bike, the tank bag did vibrate quite a bit b/c of its height but I never had a problem with the rear bags except for the time one of my raincovers was blown off while travelling towards Syracuse on I-90. Yep, I was so determined that I rode around back to pick it up off of the right lane of the interstate...then I cursed...then I decided that the CBR and soft luggage were soon to be gone, to be replaced by a hardbag-prepped new Viffer.

• Member Contributer
I think I'm sold on the Ventura system, can someone tell me how it attatches to the bike. Does the bracket attatch under the passenger handles? Do they attatch to the stock fender in any way? Thanks!

As you can see in the picture, the brackets for the Ventura luggage attach on top of the passenger grab handles. Install is easy and quick and requires no modifications. The picture shows the smaller sport rack which I use in place of a tank bag when I am going out for just one day. It takes only a couple of minutes to change out to the larger rack for the big bags.

gallery_926_1224_387221.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P1000102.JPG

Archived