Soft Luggage for 6th Gen

Guest Mokupono

• Member Contributer
Back when I had my CBR, I used to tour with the Nelson Rigg interconnected saddlebag-tailpack system.  I added two additional bungy coards for stability and found few problems when riding at speeds south of 70 mph.  I also used the expandable Joe Rocket tank bag which was spacious but not particularly secure at such speeds.

Gosh do I ever love the new hard luggage on my Viffer!

Here's the old CBR all dressed up for touring...

gallery_5129_1117_262486.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

My old F4i ready to tour

I think you have the NR saddle bags on backwards. They should be on with the shorter end twards the back of the bike so the exhaust pipe doesn't hit them.

gallery_4338_691_788002.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00100.JPG

gallery_5129_1117_262486.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

My old F4i ready to tour

gallery_4338_691_788002.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00100.JPG

I think you two are some crazy touring mofo's! That's a lot of stuff!

I'm paying close attention to this thread as I'm looking for some soft bags for my bike before I leave for the Gap and Florida.

I do have soft luggage on my '02. I wasn't sure if I'd use luggage enough to warrant the expense of the hard bags.  If you can pop for them, do the hard bags.  I went with the Nelson Rigg deluxe saddlebags (partly because I already had a matching duffle that buckles onto the saddlebags)  They have worked great and are solid over 100mph.  The only issue I had was the nylon strap that needs to go under the tail to connect the rear of the two bags together to help stability. Unfortunately, it was cooked on the first tour I took.  Though, the bags stayed nice and steady the rest of the tour and I haven't fashioned a new strap yet.  That's probably the only natty issue with bags, is the undertail strap.

Second that. Had the same problem. Otherwise bags are great for the money.

Guest steves1150
Yeah Ken, one had to be quite the acrobat to mount my old ride so to speak.  It was actually quite comfy when on the bike, the tank bag did vibrate quite a bit b/c of its height but I never had a problem with the rear bags except for the time one of my raincovers was blown off while travelling towards Syracuse on I-90.  Yep, I was so determined that I rode around back to pick it up off of the right lane of the interstate...then I cursed...then I decided that the CBR and soft luggage were soon to be gone, to be replaced by a hardbag-prepped new Viffer.

I really love my Oxford Sport bags. Spacious and very well thought out as well...

31290893-M.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Ride on,

Steve in Glendora CA

Guest squally
As you can see in the picture, the brackets for the Ventura luggage attach on top of the passenger grab handles.  Install is easy and quick and requires no modifications.  The picture shows the smaller sport rack which I use in place of a tank bag when I am going out for just one day.  It takes only a couple of minutes to change out to the larger rack for the big bags. 

gallery_926_1224_387221.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P1000102.JPG

Thank's for the picture and info, I'm sold!

• Member Contributer

I think you will be very pleased with the Ventura system. The bags are very secure and can be removed quickly. Don't ever have to worry about them coming off during spirited riding or getting in the back wheel. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Cortech Tourmaster 3-piece set , and an extra capacity Tourmaster tank bag- works great, comes off in 15 seconds, goes on in 30 seconds. This last week, I took a weeks worth of clothes, a quart of oil, a six foot Kryptonite chain, an extra pair of shoes, and some snacks and water- this is without the tank bag.........The 3-piece set for the rear was about $210 from Helmet Harbor- The tank bag was from Helmet Harbor Also, and was like $90.

Take a look in my gallery and you can see it all loaded up- There are no problems with the exhaust at all (stock at least)- The heat shields they come with can be touched by your palm after all day riding. That was the concern I had with getting soft luggage but I've had no problems, even after a 13 hour ride.

I have cortech sport saddle bags monted on my o3 for the past 2.5 years.

I mounted them pretty much the same way. My problem is that the rubber pad rests in between the exhaust shield and the saddle bags has burned over time.

Is there some sort material that I can use as a quick fix to prevent this problem

from happening? Other than that they are great saddle bags and I would by them again.

• 9 months later...

Archived