New to the group

Hello all,

I've found a 2010 VFR1200F I'd like to buy.

My concern is that the current owner has been running a DAM muffler with a K&N air filter in it. Without a tune on the ECU to compensate.

The bike also has a Bazazz Z-Bomb installed.

Normally, the combination of a free flowing air filter & more open exhaust would tend to make the engine run lean.

I had a similar situation with another bike I bought years ago. The bike was running lean. I could tell by the White deposits on the spark plugs.

I'm just concerned that this bike has been running lean & could potentially hurt the valves etc.

Looking for some general feedback.

The bike has 21K on it. 

Thanks in advance

Edited by nismogt1
Added a bit more detail.

• Member Contributer
On 4/19/2024 at 4:44 AM, nismogt1 said:

My concern is that the current owner has been running a DAM muffler with a K&N air filter in it. Without a tune on the ECU to compensate

Never been an issue with all 4 VFR800's I've owned with after market exhausts fitted, 1200 shouldn't be any different.

O2 sensors means ECU runs in closed loop, so air to fuel ratio is continuously optimized.

Think you're worrying about nothing. I'd probably go back to the OEM type airfilter if it was mine! 

Good Luck with the bike, take it for a good test ride.

Check it's maintenance history. Coolant change, brake and clutch fluid replacement - should have had a few of those! Oil and filter, etc.

P.s. I'm sure there was a rear wheel drive unit issue recall for the early 1200's. Make sure this has been done.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

What he says ☝️

Just so you know, the two posts above are from two of the more knowledgeable members of the forum. Welcome to VFRD.

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Errrrr......thanks. :beer:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not going to challenge yours 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only thing I could add to help is to let him know that he was getting good info from reliable sources.

• Member Contributer

Pull a plug and check for white spots?

I ran a free flowing exhaust for some 150,000 miles on my VFR750's and RC51 so far.

None of them went BOOM and made me crash, burn and die....  🙂

• Thanks 1