Vf500f tires and refresh

Charles13

I just picked up another 500 (an 86) and it’s a really nice stock bike with 28,000 kms, I’m going to keep this one stock and ride it this summer, then restore it when my 85 restomod is done. I’d like to flush all the brake and clutch fluid, engine oil, put a new chain on it and some better tires; I’ve seen some new retro pirelli phantoms, does anyone have experience with these? and what sizes should I go with?

I also need a new battery and maybe an air filter recommendation. 

A299ADC4-2B6F-4280-B529-960A88D7C766.thumb.jpeg.80dbfd325c75863f4b686e0d6e6b2052.jpeg

• Charles13 changed the title to Vf500f tires and refresh
  • Member Contributer

Hello Charles,

86 is the better year.

I'd 1st lift the rocker covers and inspect cam lobes and followers. If all looks good, spend money!

Battery = YUASA

Airfilter, any one that fits....

https://www.mpartz.nl/luchtfilter-honda-vf500-1984-1987-hiflo-hfa1504-p-6576m5531y

I have used BT45's, later BT46's for some 65000kms. Sold hetr with ~105,000km

20221110_091848_copy_2154x2045.thumb.jpg.edca4a7485f110d5feffccb03b79d8a6.jpg

Hey Dutchy,

your long thread was the reason I bought the 86, there is a front rocker box leak, so I will be having a look inside, the previous owners husband is a motorcycle mechanic and she said he checked the valves last year and adjusted one out of 16, she rode it once since then. I’ve used the bt45’s and liked them but the centers wore out very fast squaring up the profile. I really like the look of the Pirelli sport demons and I liked the phantoms that preceded them but I have just recently heard of them. 

• Like 1

Update: I bought the Pirelli sport demon tires but I had to get the 110/90-16 and the 120/80-18 so I hope that won’t affect handling as they are both wider. I also bought some RaceTech fork springs and a YSS rear shock as the stock one is toast. 

• Member Contributer

I think you will be alright. I used to run a 110/90 on the front and 130/80 on the rear of my VF500 for 6 years (not the same set !). At the time I thought it better for grip. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well…. It didn’t go as planned:

-the Pirelli’s where on back order so I got some bt46’s, but I managed to get the stock sizes which I’m pleased about

-ordered a YSS shock and installed it along with the new back tire. 

-charged the battery and tried to start it; it leaked fuel everywhere, pulled the tank and carbs, ordered a rebuild kit and some new intake manifolds but couldn’t get the fuel line; if anyone has any ideas on replacing the fuel line please chime in. 
- rebuilt the carbs but haven’t installed them as my fingers and toes where frozen from working in the garage. 
-ordered some race tech fork springs for my weight to compliment the new shock and some new fork oil. 
-got a center stand off one of my parts bikes; the only one that had one, where did they all go? Got it powdercoated. 
That’s where I’m at, I plan on changing the brake fluid, maybe roughing up the pads and discs and regreasing the steering head bearings but first I have to install my new center stand. 
I was told the bike was mint and ready to go as I bought it from a certified motorcycle mechanic I believed him, but I guess it’s better that I have had to tear into it a little. 

• Member Contributer

Certified mechanics are the worst. Either way...a new owner has to go through all of the systems. It's the only way to be sure. 🙂

(I watched my Subaru dealer mechanic bleed my brakes. He sucked out fluid from the master, refilled with new fluid, pumped the brakes, and gave it back to me. Oh, brother...)

• Member Contributer

"the cheque is in the mail"

"I was only helping that sheep cross the road"

"I won't come........"

:goofy:

We are finally getting some better weather up here and the snow is melting so, while the sun was shining, I attempted to install the carbs after my rebuild, holy crap! I thought they where hard to get off, it took 3 hours of wrestling and sweating to get them properly seated! One of my brass fuel inlets (the one on the right or starboard side) was so loose I pulled it right out; that’s not good! I hope I don’t have to pull them back off to repair that and, I hope I can find something to replace it with.

I noticed it when I decided to randomly pull the old super hard lines off, speaking of which where can I get 3 new fuel lines to replace this “T” setup? the 2 smaller ones that go to the carb should be easy to find but the large one that goes to the tank has a nice “S” bend in it. 

• Member Contributer

You can get some pre-formed reinforced fuel tubing in different sizes that comes in a piece with varying angles and bends.  Something might be workable.

6138K4F0TWL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg.6279c8835b8759701ce047848883a69e.jpg

Also when I just Googled "preformed fuel line" some interesting stuff came up too.

• Like 1