Instrument cluster - addition wire

Timmie

Hi could any body shed light on why a previous owner has added this purple wire? I have not seen this before. What does it do? The only issue I have with the cluster is that the clock and trip reset when powered off. Could that be causing it?

thanks Tim

IMG_1819.jpeg

IMG_1818.jpeg

It looks like a repair to bridge a broken trace.  I can't tell for sure, but it sure looks like there's a bunch of corrosion going on there.  In your first photo, look up close at the area just above the purple wire connector in the middle.  Looks like damaged, missing copper material in the circuit path.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Looks like corrosion, grime...and maybe test the battery and charging system fully and properly. 

• Member Contributer

Have you checked sub Fuse A 10amp Clock fuse?

Clean up and make sure the 6 LCD mounting screws are making good contact to the copper track. Make sure the electrical plugs are clean and making good contact, a smear of Ox-Gard on connector contacts will help.

Follow the Red/Green wire 12v clock power with a meter making sure you measure the 12v at the Blue Connector then follow the track to the top right screw of the LCD, check for 12v at this point, check all the six copper tracks for the LCD.

After having a good look at a clean instrument panel picture I have, that Purple Wire link is NOT correct. Its jumpering 12v power of the Brown/Blue wire 12v from fuse G, to the 12v Battery Clock Power of the LCD Red/Green wire from fuse A.

Have a close look in the area circled in red, its very suspect as being open circuit, thus the reason possibly for wrongly linking another power source using the Purple Wire link!

Download this excellent colour wiring diagram of your bike it will help you with wire colour codes mentioned and the Instrument Panel wiring etc.

Bottom line is to Firstly - Remove the Purple Wire link. Secondly - Repair the suspected open circuit track highlighted and, confirm with a voltmeter that you now have 12v via the Red/Green wire with Ignition Off at the top right LCD mounting screw which is where the clock 12v battery power goes to. See the second picture for what your repair might need to look like, the small red circles show open circuit corroded copper tracks that the Red wire bypasses.

IMG_1818.thumb.jpeg.e4619dea4dbe1f7a1cba2968de2dbd9a.jpeg.jpg

IMG_1069(1).JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chum I will have to do the checks you suggest when I have power back on the bike. The clock fuse is OK and the clock powers when ignition is on. It have lost its permanent feed when the ignition is off. Hence resetting.

Thanks Chum I will have to do the checks you suggest when I have power back on the bike. The clock fuse is OK and the clock powers when ignition is on. It have lost its permanent feed when the ignition is off. Hence resetting.

what holds the mileage in memory. Can i switch my lcd screen to a replacement cluster and keep my mileage reading.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Timmie said:

what holds the mileage in memory. Can i switch my lcd screen to a replacement cluster and keep my mileage reading.

Mileage is stored in non volatile memory which is why you can remove the battery and later replace it and Not lose that data.

Yes, if you move the LCD to another cluster your odometer reading should be kept.

Looking at the bad state of your cluster corrosion wise. A replacement cluster, if you can find one, might be a good option.

And its Grum not Chum!

On 12/19/2023 at 5:50 PM, Timmie said:

You don't need to put the clocks back on the bike - just follow the traces by eye and shove your multimeter on the end points to check for continuity. Take pictures of the blue/grey connectors on the bike and use the coloured wiring diagram linked above to help you see which trace is which e.g. the permanent +12V feed to the LCD is the red/green one on the blue connector.

Purple wire is a bridge between the switched +12V to the clock and the permanent +12V feed to compensate for your rotted permanent one. Mr Grum's picture has one way to repair that; I've attached a picture with my fix which just bridged the broken trace slightly further up. While you're in there clean all the filth off the board and inspect the traces for signs that they're losing the will to live. One of my common grounds was on the way out (symptom: delay of several seconds between turning on the indicators and them starting to flash) so I bypassed most of that with the black wires. The white one was added by a previous owner and IIRC is the speed sensor wire going to the odometer.

clocks after.jpg