1998 vfr 800 slaps into gear hard

• Member Contributer

helllo , my 1998 honda vfr 800 slaps into gear hard when i shift from neutral. a while ago accidently put it into gear at a high idle 3000 maybe 4000 rpms . now my bike shifts into gear hard one time and not the next . is there any adjustment for this. did i bend a shift fork maybe , and what do you think it might cost to take it to a shop and have it looked at? any advice will help 

• Member Contributer

Might be worth firstly giving the clutch a good fluid flush. You might have a bit of air in the system not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. There will always be a certain amount of clutch "chunk" when stationary and selecting a gear due to the multiplate design.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, lawnmowerman said:

grum, would this bend a shift fork if it went into gear hard

Sorry, not experienced enough to say, perhaps others might have a better idea about that.

• Member Contributer

grum last question i dont ride the bike much  could it just be sticky clutch plates?  i maybe ride it three times a year

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, lawnmowerman said:

grum last question i dont ride the bike much  could it just be sticky clutch plates?  i maybe ride it three times a year

I have heard they can stick together from long periods of non riding, having the bike in gear, clutch pulled in and rocking the bike back and forth can break the stiction, but once you're up and running and warm engine you shouldn't have any sticking plate issue at all.

- Its easy to check - If in gear engine not running and you pull the clutch in, if you can't move the rear wheel then you have an issue.

- Another test is with your bike on the center stand engine running, place it in gear let the clutch out to spin up the wheel, if you pull the clutch in the rear wheel should come to a stop.

Give the clutch a good bleed, see if that helps.

• Member Contributer

My '98 has always been that way-it seems to be getting worse.  May be time to flush the clutch fluid and replace the clutch (for me).  I have over 50,000 miles on it and ride every weekend so not due to lack of use.

• Member Contributer

As an owner of several Beta trials bikes, on which the clutch plates stick together if you don’t use it daily at least, the kindest way to free up the plates is pull in the clutch lever and use a screwdriver to separate them through the oil filler hole 

Once you’ve done it then try putting the bike in gear and seeing if it works, if it doesn’t then just repeat until it does 

• 3 months later...