Throttle: Hard to twist - stiffly sprung?

DaveRidesNC

Hi - bought my first VFR ('04) last fall and it's a never-ending-project. Now that it's road-worthy, I'm finding the throttle return is pretty stiff; I'm having hand fatigue in less than an hour, which I've never had on other bikes. I ride open-grip, so it's not from clenching, and my left hand is fine. I have bar risers and am comfortable with the lean. The cables are seated correctly and move smoothly in their housings (and the throttle closes on it's own just as it should). Thoughts? Maybe a softer throttle spring, and is there supposed to be a counter-spring on the return cable? 

I appreciate your wisdom, as I'm still getting acquainted with this great bike!

• Member Contributer

Switch out the return spring for one with just enough tension to close the throttle if you let it go. It cam't get any lighter. 

Bar position can have an influence plus the twist applied. Left hand OK no twist, right hand issues where you twist, try grabbing throttle with a cocked wrist. Plus check brake lever position. Depending on your height there may not be enough adjustment angle to suit your open grip. With fingers extended & resting on the lever they should be straight inline with the back of your hand which should be inline with your forearm. 

Have you considered sliding a Grip Puppy or similar foam sleeve over the throttle grip?  I have them on all my bikes.  It increases grip outside diameter and makes turning the throttle easier.  you'd be able to open your fist a little more so it wouldn't be as cramped.  I have a Cramp Buster fit as well, but I'd recommend trying the Grip Puppy first on its own.  You can just pull it off if it isn't working out.

Also look up the "ice cream cone" grip approach for motorcycles.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Thanks for the link. I just purchased a set on ebay, after reading some reviews.  Mostly positive reviews out there for these grips.  Hopefully it helps with numb throttle hand, after only 30-40mins of riding.

• Member Contributer

Are they just foam? Gods, I hate foam grips. 

• Member Contributer

Interesting. 

I have large hands, but don't have too difficult a time with regular grip diameter. For me, I need more length, left to right, like the lovely 135mm grips on the FJ1200!

5 hours ago, bmart said:

Are they just foam? Gods, I hate foam grips. 

Then the grips on my cruiser would give you an aneurysm. 😃  The grip foam was starting to look weathered.  Instead of buying new grips, I just put some Grip Puppy - Big Paws right over them.

IMG_2023.thumb.jpg.6117ed690e2369aa1c590007c912b05b.jpg

Archived