Removal of clutch slave cylinder

DanLegg

• Member Contributer

I want to remove the drive sprocket cover to check for wear. I attempted to remove the slave cylinder without disconnecting the clutch hose as described in the service manual 12-7. Due to the lack of slack in the clutch hose I cannot pull the cylinder out far enough to get the clutch activation rod clear. Is the rod attached to the cylinder or should it pull free of it? I don't see anything in the manual about this. Obviously I could disconnect the clutch hose but don't want to if possible. 

20230417_102443.jpg

• Member Contributer

Smarter people will answer, but I suspect the rod/shaft is just stuck to the slave. Did you try to wiggle it loose? 

• Member Contributer

Yeah, just grab the rod by your fingers and manipulate them both a bit.  It should pop right out.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bmart said:

Smarter people will answer, but I suspect the rod/shaft is just stuck to the slave. Did you try to wiggle it loose? 

I tried a bit on the gentle side and stopped in case I was going to screw something up. Thanks. 

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Yeah, just grab the rod by your fingers and manipulate them both a bit.  It should pop right out.

I will do that. Thanks for the help. 

• Member Contributer

The rod end just pushes into a seal on the back side of the slave piston IIRC. Probably a wee bit of corrosion sticking it in place, but it should yank off without too much of a fight. 

Archived