Greetings from Chicago!

Hi All,

After many years of being sans moto, I bought a 2003 VFR 800.

It only has 6000 miles but is burning oil, and needs new rings (apparently...smoke appears shortly after start up from both pipes). Is that strange considering it has so few miles? I will do a compression test and go from there. Hope to get this beautiful girl on the road (or track) shortly!

I'm excited to be back in the Honda family after owning another unique single sided swingarm bike, the Hawk 🙂

Happy riding!

VFR_HDR_web.jpg

nice one

are you sure it isn't water vapor you're seeing.  and if it was smoking.......why did you buy it ?

[ i usta live in chicago and evanston]

17 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

nice one

are you sure it isn't water vapor you're seeing.  and if it was smoking.......why did you buy it ?

Exact same thought about the vapor / condensation that burns off at startup. Does this "smoke" go away once the bike has warmed up ?

Thanks. I don't think it is water vapor. The previous owner took it to the Honda dealer who diagnosed it as the rings. I started it and ran it through the gears, and although my allergies were going nuts that day, I don't think it was water vapor, even though I could not smell oil in the exhaust. Why did I buy it...well, I got it for a song. Totally worth it (to me at least), even if it needs a top end front and rear. I will test the compression and see if everything is normal. I would think with only 6000 miles, there is no way the rings are bad, even for a 20-year old bike. The oil level was normal, not overfilled. The previous owner was a 250cc racer who had three bikes (including a hawk), so, I think he shot me straight. I had the hawk, a TZ125 (which does of course burn oil), and an R6. This is my first V4 bike and I'm pretty stoked on it.

It also maybe a leaking fuel injector I had a similar issue.  I have the same bike I am in a suburb of Chicago.  Is there any oil residue on the exhaust tips?

Archived