How do you level the plastic floats in the carburetor if one side is higher than the other?

DesertKyorugi

Not a newbie to carbs, just never had the pleasure of dealing with all plastic body floats. So, do you try to level the floats and take your 9mm measurement? Or don't level and take the 9mm measurement at the highest float?

If leveling the floats, what/how is the procedure? Heat? How do we know it is going to stay level after?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I don't often get into my carbs, but when I have to set them, I use a Heisenberg compensator. (Sorry...bad Star Trek reference!)

• Member Contributer

I think there's always going to be some slight difference between the sides as the float valve is offset and the pin has a little slop so one side hangs a fraction lower than the other. Cleverer people than I use an old credit card and cut the necessary 9mm rectangle out leaving a bridge that will sit across both floats at once. Or you can use a perfessional gauge like the one picured below. 

image.png.e5beb17fc4a0e774955c5a989b839fc5.png

17 minutes ago, Terry said:

I think there's always going to be some slight difference between the sides as the float valve is offset and the pin has a little slop so one side hangs a fraction lower than the other. Cleverer people than I use an old credit card and cut the necessary 9mm rectangle out leaving a bridge that will sit across both floats at once. Or you can use a perfessional gauge like the one picured below. 

image.png.e5beb17fc4a0e774955c5a989b839fc5.png

So....if we are going by the special gauge, it is going to measure the 9mm from the highest float. I guess that is what I will do, don't try to bend and level the floats. Just make sure the highest float is at 9mm 🤞

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, squirrelman said:

i an no cleverer than our terry, but i make float level gauges for different bikes.........

480238610_nov3-21015.thumb.JPG.cf8ed0608af00710f7e885fc2b445cd3.JPG

Way too humble Squirrelman... I learned that one from you.

Archived