Front Fender for an 1100F Resto-Mod?

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

I just finished this special build and am delighted with the results, except for the F2 front fender that came with the forks.  I'd like something sleeker like what's on the VF bikes and am leaning toward the one used on the VF1000F.  It has the metal fork brace/spoiler that directs air at the cooling fins, and it has the look I want.  I'm sure that I can fabricate some nice brackets to attach the metal brace to the mounting ears on the F2 fork legs.

If anyone here has a front fender and brace they'd like to sell, let me know and we can work something out.  I would also consider a VF1000R front fender.  As long as one of these works with a 17" wheel, I should be in good shape.  Thanks!

20161019_122150_zpstncreln0.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'll be happy to provide pics, but my intention here isn't to hijack the VFR forum with a CB1100F build.

Here's a closer shot of the bike on the day last Sunday when I took it for it's first ride:

20161016_170627_zpsnitmxbh2.jpg

If you guys want to see more pics from the build, I'll be happy to post.

• Member Contributer

I was just looking at modifying a 1000F fender bracket and fender to install on the F2 front end of my VFR.  I too wanted a sleeker look, but after getting the 900RR fairings fitted, the hump of the fender was mostly hidden so I tabled that project.  It did look pretty straight forward but I didn't want to sacrifice my 1000F bracket and have to put a VF750 bracket on the 1000.  The 1000F fender brackets are hard to find.  Everyone who sells a 1000F fender removes it but then doesn't list the bracket (or apparently they think that a 1000F fender and bracket is solid gold under the paint and anodizing). 

The VF750 bracket looked doable and in some respects looked like a better alternative as I was considering how to modify it for the F2 forks.  The aluminum piece gave me some areas to drill and tap for some small adapter brackets.

I just flipped thru your photo bucket...    wow....   Good job!

Lots of fab work.

Very cool bike.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the suggestions, Captain, and thanks for the compliments too.  A friend is sending me a spare VF1000R fender and mounting hardware and I'm going to see how that might work out.  I just need to get this sorted out before the end of the year.  All the 1100F bodywork will be getting repainted with new decals, so whatever fender I go with will be getting a fresh coat of blue paint to match everything else.

• Member Contributer

1000R should be just as feasible and perhaps the best looking for that bike.

Looking forward to seeing how you do it.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Tomk1960, most of us I think have owned or ridden the CB's, specimens like yours I think are a sight for sore eyes, visits welcome I would think.
Looks like you even getting Seb interested...

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I've seen these online and they're very nice.  I need to look into them a little more to see if they're the right width.  I'm sure some simple bracketry can be fabbed to mount one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

A good friend sent me a spare VF1000R fender and hardware to try out.  It arrived yesterday and after a quick mock-up, it looks like it will be a very good fit.  Some minimal bracketry fabrication will be necessary, but when it's done, it will look close to stock.

I'll be building another one of these bikes, so I guess I need to keep my eyes open for another one of these fenders.  :wink:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 02/11/2016 at 4:25 AM, tomk1960 said:

so I guess I need to keep my eyes open for another one of these fenders.  :wink:

I've got one Tom. But it's attached to my VF750 :wacko:

front.jpg

Archived