• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I love the english language (I'm not a native speaker....)

Re profiling  =  took a lump out :-)

Keep up the good work!

Some guy sold me an almost mint Fox shock for $25 to do this,the shaft did look pitted in the pics but it's actually fine. I was considering this ZX swap before I found the Fox. What do you guys think Fox or ZX shock?

Apologies for the hijack, but the more I'm working on it, the more stuff is needing to come apart. It's been neglected a fair bit prior to me getting it. Had to cut the locking nut off the rear hub. Everything needs a proper strip down and clean. Back brake had one seized piston too.

Anyway, pics if anyone's interested...

13087716_210380859347488_5775145211163854325_n.jpg

13122992_210380199347554_1170322674783049763_o.jpg

13123138_210380196014221_5562186793156004705_o.jpg

13123338_210380192680888_6148991917954121438_o.jpg

13124547_210380836014157_5472682852352040672_n.jpg

13130853_210211236031117_8760091247928196087_o.jpg

13161814_210211226031118_698524100249428863_o.jpg

13174055_210380842680823_7109720633694597182_n.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Y282 said:

Apologies for the hijack, but the more I'm working on it, the more stuff is needing to come apart. It's been neglected a fair bit prior to me getting it. Had to cut the locking nut off the rear hub. Everything needs a proper strip down and clean. Back brake had one seized piston too.

Anyway, pics if anyone's interested...

13130853_210211236031117_8760091247928196087_o.jpg

LOL, are you married?

I sure wouldn't be if I tried to use the kitchen sink as a parts washer...

Ciao,

1 hour ago, JZH said:

LOL, are you married?

I sure wouldn't be if I tried to use the kitchen sink as a parts washer...

Ciao,

She didn't mind when it was her bike I was building in there :)

• Member Contributer

we love pictures here!

And I dread to think that my swingarm will look the same inside....

One day I will take it apart, one day....

• Member Contributer
On 29/04/2016 at 7:38 AM, Y282 said:

Welding class last night, built up the dogbone ready for redrilling. Before and after...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do you think it was necessary to build up the dogbone width?  I'm in need of a shorter dogbone for my RC30 swing arm (93.75mm centre to centre vs OEM RC36 115mm centre to centre), which means the new hole has to be drilled in the portion of the dogbone that is 20mm wide.  Having a 10mm margin on either side (per OEM) would obviously be safer, but a 5mm margin still looks okay to me.  <dunno>

Ciao,

34 minutes ago, JZH said:

Do you think it was necessary to build up the dogbone width?  I'm in need of a shorter dogbone for my RC30 swing arm (93.75mm centre to centre vs OEM RC36 115mm centre to centre), which means the new hole has to be drilled in the portion of the dogbone that is 20mm wide.  Having a 10mm margin on either side (per OEM) would obviously be safer, but a 5mm margin still looks okay to me.  <dunno>

Ciao,

Interesting you ask. I bought an older vfr dogbone off ebay as a backup and it's an exact fit. Hole is about 22mm closer. I'll probly use that instead and keep the modded onein case i want to jack it up even higher.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Y282 said:

Interesting you ask. I bought an older vfr dogbone off ebay as a backup and it's an exact fit. Hole is about 22mm closer. I'll probly use that instead and keep the modded onein case i want to jack it up even higher.

Do you know which model VFR?  "Older" than 3rd gen only leaves a couple of possibilities, though!

Ciao,

9 hours ago, JZH said:

Do you know which model VFR?  "Older" than 3rd gen only leaves a couple of possibilities, though!

Ciao,

Hi JZH,

You need the one from an '86 or '87. The '86 is heavier duty material than the '87 which is like the stock 3rd gen material. I just bought an '86 one with the shock arm (which you don't change, but came with it from this seller).

Cheers,

Glenn

On 5/7/2016 at 7:23 PM, Y282 said:

Thoughts on this back end...?

image.jpg

Don't like it, the frame fins simply do NOT allow for a seat like that and retain the good looks of the bike.

This generation wasn't born to be changed like that, the 94-97 was though!

I've left it sat on the bike for a week while i wait for parts to turn up and i must admit, i'm leaning towards staying standard. 

I'd really like an nc30 style back end tho.

First time back here in awhile!   Awesome work Y282 !!!  Your welded dogbone looks perfect !

Glad to see you are testing the 86' dogbone too, I know it's gonna be a real close hit or miss, I haven't had the time to test it...  been busy with family, work, and other projects (check me out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Glory2America)  

The new hole on my modded dogbone is exactly 20mm center-to-center from the original hole.  IIRC the 86' equates to 22mm?  I had all those measurements posted in detail but I see all my pics are missing from this thread?? bummer.  I would suggest drilling the new hole 18mm C2C though, if you haven't already done so... I believe 17 - 18mm could be perfect for the ZX14 shock.

Here's an update: I have 700 miles on the shock now and it's functioning extremely well and predictable.  One thing I figured out, was that I was reading the compression and rebound settings backwards!!  So, in my "Test Run" videos, the shock was actually set very soft but it still looked and felt great.  I now have the settings right and it's much tighter.  I'm 215 lbs. naked, and it handles my weight superbly...  My 160 lb. buddy takes it out often and he loves the way it handles too (He keeps begging me to trade him for his mint 2009 Ninja 500R, lol)

1 hour ago, Nifty7Fifty said:

First time back here in awhile!   Awesome work Y282 !!!  Your welded dogbone looks perfect !

Glad to see you are testing the 86' dogbone too, I know it's gonna be a real close hit or miss, I haven't had the time to test it...  been busy with family, work, and other projects (check me out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Glory2America)  

The new hole on my modded dogbone is exactly 20mm center-to-center from the original hole.  IIRC the 86' equates to 22mm?  I had all those measurements posted in detail but I see all my pics are missing from this thread?? bummer.  I would suggest drilling the new hole 18mm C2C though, if you haven't already done so... I believe 17 - 18mm could be perfect for the ZX14 shock.

Here's an update: I have 700 miles on the shock now and it's functioning extremely well and predictable.  One thing I figured out, was that I was reading the compression and rebound settings backwards!!  So, in my "Test Run" videos, the shock was actually set very soft but it still looked and felt great.  I now have the settings right and it's much tighter.  I'm 215 lbs. naked, and it handles my weight superbly...  My 160 lb. buddy takes it out often and he loves the way it handles too (He keeps begging me to trade him for his mint 2009 Ninja 500R, lol)

Good to see you back mate. I'm going to run the 86/87 first, it's a little over 20mm ctc but i like the back a little taller.

i'm cleaning and servicing everything as it goes back on so it'll be a little while now before i can report.

what settings for the shock would you advise now? I'm a little confused now based on what you just said about the settings. Want it to feel more like my blade at the back, kind of firmer. I've rebuilt the front forks and overfilled by 5mm on hrc seals. 

Also  I'm 180lbs give or take a meal.

• Member Contributer

I got one last week and the FG-H dogbone is 92mm c-to-c, versus 115mm for the RC36-I version.  You're right about it being heavier--the thing weighs a ton!  Cast iron, it appears to be.  No surprise, then, that the RC30 version (120mm) was made of forged aluminum.

Btw, I ended up not using any of the 'bones in my collection.  I'm moving the shock mount instead...

Ciao,

It's been a minute, had to check my notes... I believe my comp setting is now 1.25 turns out from hardest setting, and rebound is 1 turn out from hardest.  In the initial testing I was 1.25 turns out from softest (I was reading the "H - S" backwards) .  I'll double-check the bike to confirm and get back to you. 

The thing to look out for with the 86' link is if the shock spring contacts the swing arm when fully assembled.  20mm shorter is the max that I can confirm proper (no contact) operation, so the slightly shorter 86' link may bring the shock in a hair too much.  If there is slight contact, it may be fine, because when you mount the bike the shock will move away from the swing arm, and you may even be able to file the swingarm slightly... But this is all speculation on my part, it may be fine.  Just gotta try it and see how she lines up...

Hello everyone,

As I too have joined the ninja/viffer.  Just ordered mine and will be doing the swap.  I am pretty tall at 6'2" and at 225 so I believe I will be going with the dog bone mod with 20mm. I will keep everyone posted.  Thanks Nifty and everyone else who has contributed to this mod.

Manny

8 hours ago, Manny said:

Hello everyone,

As I too have joined the ninja/viffer.  Just ordered mine and will be doing the swap.  I am pretty tall at 6'2" and at 225 so I believe I will be going with the dog bone mod with 20mm. I will keep everyone posted.  Thanks Nifty and everyone else who has contributed to this mod.

Manny

Hello Manny,  Welcome to the party Bro !! 

• 3 weeks later...

Few mini pics to update. Not much to tell tbh, just cleaning everything as i get chance.

One thing to note though is this is the older vfr dogbone and the shock is VERY close to the swingarm. In fact, it's currently touching while the swingarm is suspended in the air with no weight on it...

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

Archived