Givi E41 too big?

Guest strommin

Guest strommin

I found some used Givi E41 monolock that I'm interested in. I was just wondering if anybody had tried these. I was worried if they would be too big. I wanted to mount them on the SW Motech quick release racks.

Monolock has a different mounting. Monokey is the regular type. is this for a top-box, because Monolock is also marketed for top boxes only. The numerical designation is most always the number of liters.

examples:

36 liter bags E-360

ebay0810009.jpg

28 liter bags E-28

ebay0810008.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi, what exactly do you mean by "too big"? If you're talking about sticking out. Yeah, they stick out quite a bit. I was concerned that there'd be a lot of extra drag and affect MPG. I'm still getting 47-50mpg with the bags on. I keep them on all the time.

If you want to see what they look like on my 5th Gen, check out my gallery under the Colorado trip. There's a bunch of pics of the bike with all three bags.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions about the bags, just holler.

YellowFuzz

• Member Contributer

Hi, what exactly do you mean by "too big"? If you're talking about sticking out. Yeah, they stick out quite a bit. I was concerned that there'd be a lot of extra drag and affect MPG. I'm still getting 47-50mpg with the bags on. I keep them on all the time.

If you want to see what they look like on my 5th Gen, check out my gallery under the Colorado trip. There's a bunch of pics of the bike with all three bags.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions about the bags, just holler.

YellowFuzz

I've been in the high 30's MPG with my Wing Rack this past year. But that was mostly commuting and lots of going too fast. I think mine are 360's (Like Timmy's) on the side, and a big top case (40 something liter).

IMO, that's the largest you want on the sides.

And don't try to park next to Timmy if he's got his on. Especially if you have cases on yours! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Be sure you understand Timmy's point on the differences between Mono Lock vs Mono Key. I don't have any experience with Monolock stuff, so I don't know what's different about the two. Not sure why they even need the two different lines...

I know nothing about Moteck Racks.

the monokey are the regular ol Givi bags. The monoLOCK has different spacing on the 3 attachment points and they have a dedicated plate for that.

from Givi:

"...The GIVI motorcycle top cases and panniers are the result of more than 30 years' experience of careful attention to detail and caring for the needs of motorcyclists. The case opening/detaching system is operated with one hand only and the MONOKEY® and MONOLOCK® fitting systems guarantee ease of use together with a high reliability and durability that always characterise all GIVI products. MONOKEY® and MONOLOCK® cases boast a patented locking system that enables the opening/detaching of the case and its attaching/releasing from the plate with a single key. MONOKEY® cases have a bigger capacity than MONOLOCK® cases and are for use on motorcycles. MONOLOCK® cases have a smaller capacity and are usually used on scooters and maxiscooters...."

I think I'm gonna save some money and stick to soft luggage this year. If anybody is interested the luggage is still for sale. It's located in SC and pm me if you want the sellers contact info.

Archived