Bike Cutting Off When Put in Gear

Guest EasyE

I'm having a slight problem with my 5th Gen VFR. Recently the biked tipped over and bent the brake lever. So I replaced both levers with aftermarket (full sized) levers. Ever since then I've had a problem with my VFR when I put it in gear. The bike starts up fine and idles just great. But when I pull in the clutch and put it in first, the bike slowly dies. It's almost like I'm trying to let the clutch out while holding in the brake. That's the type of slow cutoff that I'm experiencing.

CAN YOU GUYS HELP!?!

• Member Contributer

Sounds like air in the clutch's hydraulic system. From your fact pattern, you mentioned the bike was on its side - particularly if the fluid in the reservoir was low, the inlet to the line in the bottom of the M/C might be have become uncovered by fluid and injested a bit of air. Now when you pull in the clutch, you're compressing the air rather than forcing 100% fluid through the hose. Bleed the system and see if that solves it.

Sounds like the clutch safety switch got unplugged when you changed levers.

It's a tiny black box with two wires going to it just under the lever pedistal .

Be sure both wires are still plugged in.

It tells the ecu that the clutch is IN.

BR

• Member Contributer

Also check that it's not the side kickstand switch. Doesn't sound like it would be the problem, but something to check that follows the lines of the problem anyways.

• Member Contributer

Also check that it's not the side kickstand switch. Doesn't sound like it would be the problem, but something to check that follows the lines of the problem anyways.

This was my first thought when reading the thread title, but it could be the clutch switch as well.

So its dropping in RPM till it coughs and dies? without any forward progress?

Well, I can get forward progress if I let out the clutch and ride, but with the clutch all the way in there is no motion and yes a slow drop in RPM until it dies.

I don't believe it's the kickstand because when I try it with the kickstand down it's a very sudden and harsh cutoff. This is much slower and smoother. And the clutch switch is plugged in. I tried with each wire on both posts. I guess it could be possible that the switch is bad?

I haven't gotten around to bleeding the lines, yet. This was going to be my first move. I've been too busy working to get my hands dirty on the bike.

• Member Contributer

Repeat the test with the bike on the centrestand. If it's air in the clutch lines the rear wheel will start to spin with the clutch pulled in. Rather than the bike dying it will just spin the wheel faster.

Repeat the test with the bike on the centrestand. If it's air in the clutch lines the rear wheel will start to spin with the clutch pulled in. Rather than the bike dying it will just spin the wheel faster.

Very good, love these how-to's........(10)

if a pressure bleed was causing the motor to die he would notice the bike trying to lurch forward,especially if it was to the point of killing the motor, trust me I know exactly what it feels like. I really don't think this is a hydraulic issue.

• Member Contributer

if a pressure bleed was causing the motor to die he would notice the bike trying to lurch forward,especially if it was to the point of killing the motor, trust me I know exactly what it feels like. I really don't think this is a hydraulic issue.

This is an even better response than mine!

Maybe it's just a simple clutch lever adjustment causing enough drag to slowly kill the engine as he just installed the levers. The switch (clutch or side stand) like I mentioned earlier would instantly kill the motor.

BR

• Member Contributer

It would be intersting to hear from the OP how well it goes in to gear at idle - any clashing of gears, etc. while the clutch is pulled in.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a center stand, but I rigged up some way to do it. I put the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in and the tire starts to spin a little. But the bike still does the same thing. It slowly dwindles in RPMs until it dies.

Maybe it's just a simple clutch lever adjustment causing enough drag to slowly kill the engine as he just installed the levers. The switch (clutch or side stand) like I mentioned earlier would instantly kill the motor. BR

It definitely is NOT instantly killing the engine. It's a very gradual slowing to death!

It would be intersting to hear from the OP how well it goes in to gear at idle - any clashing of gears, etc. while the clutch is pulled in.

I can't feel/hear any clashing of gears or anything out of the ordinary.

Please keep any ideas coming!!

Okay, just to close this topic, I fixed the problem. When I installed the aftermarket levers they throw wasn't long enough. I just had to extend the levers out a little so that when I pulled them in it fully engaged the clutch.

I'm a dummy.

Archived