Poor fuel economy

Bikespod

• Member Contributer

Then there’s these with strange name / branding. But the similarities are startling. Both the original and this one have Japan written on them same font, same construction ( probe end aside )

Different connector but could attach the one from the original. 

C6C4403A-1046-4559-A7C1-F8BA28F0102D.jpeg

DB3E12DA-DA1C-485D-A647-E98F8C338C1D.jpeg

A9EDD14B-6C9C-436E-8479-608720D5B9F3.png

• Member Contributer

I suspect that all major makers and their suppliers are outsourcing production to 3rd parties. So you can pretty much pick any sensor, snip off connector and crimp on OEM connector and it should work fine. 

Try to find Denso if you can for its narrower body. I had some clearance issues with Bosch on a Toyota Supra where sensor had clearance issues with AC line. If there's room on VFR, then either should work fine.

• Member Contributer

I bought a low mileage (3700 miles ) VFR800 2017 used sensor for £11 on eBay as a backup plan. 
Honda are taking the mick with their pricing. Unforgivable. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/4/2021 at 10:02 PM, DannoXYZ said:

I suspect that all major makers and their suppliers are outsourcing production to 3rd parties. So you can pretty much pick any sensor, snip off connector and crimp on OEM connector and it should work fine. 

Try to find Denso if you can for its narrower body. I had some clearance issues with Bosch on a Toyota Supra where sensor had clearance issues with AC line. If there's room on VFR, then either should work fine.

I’ve fitted the used sensor and it’s a pretty tight fit. No fault codes. 
Don’t think the Bosch unit will fit. I’ll have to return it. 
I tested the warm up cycle again and the rads are definitely starting to get warm at temperatures below 70. I’m more convinced it’s the thermostat. I’ll definitely replace this when it arrives and update the thread if there is an improvement in mpg and warm up cycle. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Bikespod said:

I’ve fitted the used sensor and it’s a pretty tight fit. No fault codes. 
Don’t think the Bosch unit will fit. I’ll have to return it. 
I tested the warm up cycle again and the rads are definitely starting to get warm at temperatures below 70. I’m more convinced it’s the thermostat. I’ll definitely replace this when it arrives and update the thread if there is an improvement in mpg and warm up cycle. 

Just check the temp gradients. The rads do heat up before the thermostat opens due the the coolant bypass circuit. You need to check the coolant path temps, if hose above right rad heats first then definitely thermostat. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Just check the temp gradients. The rads do heat up before the thermostat opens due the the coolant bypass circuit. You need to check the coolant path temps, if hose above right rad heats first then definitely thermostat. 

Thanks Mohawk. That is very useful information. I’ll double check the manual for the paths. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived