Which Route Planning Software

Skids

• Member Contributer

It used to be so easy. TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere) was so easy to use and downloaded easily to my old TomTom Rider sat nav.

Now TYRE doesn't appear to work without some sort of Google account, I've tried looking elsewhere.

TomTom has their own "best in the world" planning software but that is really difficult to use compared to TYRE and only downloads in .gpx format which my Rider doesn't recognise and if I convert the ,gpx file to .itn, it comes up with 1600 route waypoints which is too many for the sat nav. So this is useless.

I can't seem to find anything else that is remotely user friendly.

So what is out there that is easy to use to plan your own routes (not their "twisty" routes) and download in .itn?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Hi Skids.

I share your frustration, and had all the same issues you talk of. I have a Garmin GPS and find Garmin Basecamp just a shocker to use as well. I had just about gotten to the point of throwing the GPS in the bin.

I find the best method is to work from maps or Google maps and manually load a route into the GPS making absolutely sure it follows exactly the way I want to go, and closely reviewing the full route. It's a slow process but this method never let's me down and gives me the confidence to just follow the Magenta line and enjoy the ride. YMMV.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Skids.

I share your frustration, and had all the same issues you talk of. I have a Garmin GPS and find Garmin Basecamp just a shocker to use as well. I had just about gotten to the point of throwing the GPS in the bin.

I find the best method is to work from maps or Google maps and manually load a route into the GPS making absolutely sure it follows exactly the way I want to go, and closely reviewing the full route. It's a slow process but this method never let's me down and gives me the confidence to just follow the Magenta line and enjoy the ride. YMMV.

Cheers.

Yeah, cheers m8, that's what I'm having to do but TYRE was so much easier. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Skids said:

Yeah, cheers m8, that's what I'm having to do but TYRE was so much easier. 

Agree, but I still found the only sure fire way of getting around the idiosyncrasies of my Garmin Zumo 350LM was creating the trip manually. It's also of great benifit to be able to create routes manually when you're away from a PC without access to TYRE, as I've had to do many times.

I had so many frustrating times with the GPS and could have pitched the bloody thing, but with perseverance and getting an understanding the traps and tricks of the device, then finally you can get it to do exactly the right thing and it becomes a fantastic aid for long tripping, especially in unknown territory.

I have similar problems with bicycle routing. The best solution i've found is doing it in google maps in a laptop web browser, get it exactly how i want nice and easy, then use this site to convert it to GPX: https://mapstogpx.com/ 

I can then uplaod that gpx straight to my garmin device, or put it on the cloud service for garmin or even strava.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 7/27/2020 at 11:10 PM, atx said:

I have similar problems with bicycle routing. The best solution i've found is doing it in google maps in a laptop web browser, get it exactly how i want nice and easy, then use this site to convert it to GPX: https://mapstogpx.com/ 

I can then uplaod that gpx straight to my garmin device, or put it on the cloud service for garmin or even strava.

Thanks for that m8. Sadly, I use TomTom so need .itn files. I've tried converting .gpx to .itn but the waypoints list runs into 000's.

Archived