Lithium Ion Battery

FireWire

• Member Contributer

The way I understand it, they don't really discharge on their own, but they aren't as forgiving of sitting discharged. Slap a neglected lead/acid battery on the fancy automatic battery saver and watch it recover... treat lithium like that and it won't even be a good paper weight - too light. That said, I think BLS may be going a bit overkill, but it doesn’t hurt to err on the safe side.

I may rethink all this the next time I'm battery shopping, but for now I'll go with Boris the Blade... 

Boris-Snatch-Heavy-Is-Good.jpeg

• Member Contributer

.I have voltmeter that I leave on most the time and I glance at it near everyday....

Typically after a ride, the static volts are 13.3v at the 5 week point it will be 13.2v so you do have to watch parasitic losses... (got accessories?)

(My riding time is way down, cant believe I have gone  5 weeks..) 

The thing is - I never charged either battery I had, the first went 4 1/2 years and I'm on the 2nd.

Maintenance? What maintenance? For winter with a quick ride and full charge on the battery, 

I bring it in the house and it sits for season with near zero discharge of any kind. 

When I reinstall in the spring, it fires the bike like a new battery at near full charge.

YRMV

• Member Contributer

I have three mates running LiFepo4 batteries. Shorai and SSB. 
One of them has them on three bikes. The one in his Ducati hadn’t been started for around 1 year, when we were having a beer in his shed and talking about this he plugged it back in again and it cranked no problem. The bike wouldn’t start but it’s a Ducati after all, and it wasn’t because of a lack of crank power. 
My other mate has one in his dirt bike that he uses only a few times a year and doesn’t even own a charger. 

The other mate has one  on a road bike that gets used once every couple of weeks. 
None of them reported any problems, all said they crank much harder than lead batteries. 
None of them do any maintenance on them.  
I think there is too much hear say and urban myths about them. 

Archived