Blowing fuse “indicators” 800 crossrunner

Davidjeffery

Question

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Davidjeffery said:

Went out to the bike today and drove to work was raining and I noticed my Indicators stoped I replaced the fuse about 10 mins into driving it went again Honda want £60 a hour and said they could have it weeks where do I start?

Not familiar with the wiring of the crossrunner. Which vfr might it be equivalent to?

You may just have a shorted bulb filament, check all 4 bulbs are good. Try also removing all bulbs and replace the fuse. Does it blow when operating the turn switch? Is there Only indicators supplied by the fuse? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Hi there it’s equivalent to the first hen vfr800s I believe engine is same. The fuse also operates the hazard switch aswell but it seems that it doesn’t short straight away if I replace the fuse the indicators are good for a bit then for some reason short out an blow the fuse seems to blow when I turn the switch to the right as I noticed that’s when it went and I do t have a wiring diagram not to hand 

• Member Contributer

Try replacing the fuse and without riding turn ignition on, activate the indicators and start flexing your wiring around the indicator wiring, swing the steering from lock to lock. Sounds like you may have a chaffed wire somewhere intermittently shorting to frame. You may need a good supply of 10a fuses but you should eventually home in on the short.

You could do a similar thing with a multimeter ohms or continuity/buzzer mode, remove the fuse, place one probe on battery negative and the other in the fuse holder on the LOAD side (not the incoming power side), start flexing your wiring if you get continuity or the buzzer you've found the short. Do a good inspection of the globe sockets and wiring.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Davidjeffery said:

Hi there it’s equivalent to the first hen vfr800s I believe engine is same. 

What model year is it? 

2011-2014 Crossrunners use the same engine as the 6th Gen, the 2015+ models use the newer 8th Gen engine.

Agree with above, sounds like a chafing wire.

• Member Contributer

A fuse blow is generally caused by a short. So you need to identify when it shorts. Its intermittent but can it be caused by an action ?

So bike with ignition on, wiggle bars lock to lock does fuse blow ? No then likely in return power section of wiring. Yes, then fault is in supply side & around the moving wire parts.

If no above, then repeat with left indicator then right indicator on. If fuse blows with one specific indicator on then fault is in return side of that indicators wiring. Trace wiring & locate the fault. If you remove the rear bulb it will confirm its in the front wiring or vice versa. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Archived