Recommended 600 mile break in

Tews19

On 6/1/2017 at 9:22 AM, GatorGreg said:

Here's a copy of the spec sheet that was also attached to my receipt for the 600 mile anal raping, er, servicing :tongue:

IMG_2077.JPG

Why would they use 4 qts of reg AND 4 qts of synth. Seems to me that that they can't even do the paperwork correctly. I did a 600 service once  and just could not justify paying $200 for an oil change again. Like others , keep receipts for proof of doing it. Adjusted chain and lubed myself. Adjusting idle is beyond simple. Mine came at 1500 and I asked dealership and they had no idea it was adjustable . So I don't have faith in my dealership. I have a great independent mechanic I'll use for first valve check. Only use dealer ship for warranty work.

Just asked the local stealership the cost of an oil change on my 02
$170--- can you say RIP OFF?
I can do it in less then 30 minutes, not an hour and a half sheeesh SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, rckrzy1 said:

Why would they use 4 qts of reg AND 4 qts of synth. Seems to me that that they can't even do the paperwork correctly. I did a 600 service once  and just could not justify paying $200 for an oil change again. Like others , keep receipts for proof of doing it. Adjusted chain and lubed myself. Adjusting idle is beyond simple. Mine came at 1500 and I asked dealership and they had no idea it was adjustable . So I don't have faith in my dealership. I have a great independent mechanic I'll use for first valve check. Only use dealer ship for warranty work.

Again, the 2nd sheet was just some sort of spec sheet.  They obviously did not use 8 quarts of oil, just as they did not replace the chain and sprockets.  They only did the things listed on the 1st sheet I posted.  I just figured you guys would like to see the spec sheet too that they had attached.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, duccmann said:

Just asked the local stealership the cost of an oil change on my 02
$170--- can you say RIP OFF?
I can do it in less then 30 minutes, not an hour and a half sheeesh SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, the 1.5 hours on my receipt was the TOTAL time for the 600 mile service which included the oil change as part of it.  How much labor time they would charge for JUST the oil change I have no idea.

I used a Jiffy Lube type place once to change oil on a road trip.

They let me use their drain pan and sold me some oil.

Think I might have borrowed a wrench or something. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Just curious, how many folks here have their own torque wrenches and use them?

Shop rates are what they are.  Not cheap, for two wheels, four, or more.  Dealers are always more expensive than private shops.

There's no such thing as a Jiffy Lube type place for motorcycles here in the 'States as far as I know.  California, who knows.  And you don't want to know how many people have driven out of places like that to have their wheels fall off anyway.

If relying on an automotive type of shop I would be inclined to avoid oils that were not designed with motorcycles in mind.  Yes, there are big differences.

Some of us are with f*cked-up backs, knees, etc. have found the hard way that trying to avoid throwing hundred dollar bills at a stealership just means throwing hundred dollar bills at chiropractors, LMTs and orthopedists instead.  Your mileage may vary.

Or sometimes, the convenience is the issue.  Some of us apartment dwellers don't own and won't store large, dirty container that will get used a couple of times a year at most, and haven't the means to cleanly capture and dispose of the used oil.

Sure, there is the occasional moron who will do the change over a storm drain.  :mad:

Don't like paying?  Do the work yourself.  Nothing wrong with that.  Just make sure you do it right and keep records for resale value and warranty issues.

Archived