TPMS and Tire Pressure

Rambler358

Never used a TPMS. 

The answer to your other question will draw many different responses.  The truth is, it depends. It depends on laden weight, tire brand, longevity vs performance, personal feel/preference. 

On Michelin tires I ran 36/38 and 38/42 2up

On the S21 I prefer 34/36. The sidewalls are stiffer than the PP3 so the lower pressure feels better. I'm pretty sensitive to tire pressure, I can usually feel when my tire pressure is off by even a couple of PSI. YMMV. 

• Member Contributer

Yes, the Garmin one that works with the Zumo 590.  I use Bridgeport angled valve stems (available from Kurveygirl, eBay, etc.)  I run OEM tire pressures.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Be very careful with the clearance between the rear valve stem and brake caliper. On previous models some had tried using standard replacement vavle stems and found out they hit the caliper and failed. The popular Bridgport angled stems avoid issues. 

When I bought my ST1300 it had a TPMS already installed. It came with replacement metal stems that offered the availability of mounting the sensor inside or outside. 

I do plan on getting replacement valve stems when the tires are ready to be replaced. But I already have the Fobo Bike https://my-fobo.com/product/fobobike TPMS from my previous bike, and was wondering if I could use it safely with the stock valve stems. They do seem to be sturdy enough not to be an issue, but I just wanted to check and see if any others have done this.

• Member Contributer

There have been several reports of almost instant tire deflation when people have fitted too-long valve stems to the VFR rear wheel, so it's clear that caliper clearance is critical on the rear wheel.

The reason why Garmin says to not use rubber valve stems (and I did not try it) is probably more related to rubber fatigue, rather than interference (though the Garmin sensors are big enough to probably hit the rear caliper when mounted on even a shortie straight valve stem).  The result can be the same--immediate tire failure--but could take a while to develop.  The FOBO sensors look very small, and probably very light, so maybe you'd get away with it?

Ciao,

Archived