GAS LEAK SOS new rider

newrider

Hey! I just recently bought a 1997 vfr 750 and its my first bike. Honestly, I laid her down not moving( Still angry about it) on its right side(Exhaust Side) but a leak started happening on the left side and gas was coming out, once the bike was upright it stopped but will no longer start. Theres two tubes on the bottom left like near the mid stand and it looks like its coming from one of those I was thinking maybe my gas line is cut or disconnected? When it was was on its side it wasn't like rushing out jus bubbling a lot and coming out. Any help/advice/knowledge would be great as I don't have a ton yet! I just want to be able to ride her again! Thank you!!!

• Member Contributer

This is a carbureted bike so you might have seen the float bowl overflow happening so I doubt anything was cut. As far as not starting, was this immediately after the tip over? Or did you let it sit for a while? Although it's possible,that the tip over sensor is causing the not starting problem, this would actually be preventing the starter from turning, is that case or is it trying to tiurn over and just not catching?

Another two things to check, make sure the on/off switch didn't get set to off when you picked up the bike. You'd be surprised how often this trips us up. The other is being in neutral and the kick stand is down. There are switches for these conditions that prevent the bike from starting, but usually that's if the bike is in gear.

It was the kill switch! Never would of thought of that! Thank you all! Also was wondering, do you think it was a good first bike for me to get a 1997 vfr 750? A lot of people say I should of gotten something 250 cc but I love the vfr so far! Also anyone had to do a bonded title before? Im going through that right now any estimate on time in Alabama or cost ? 

• Member Contributer

A first bike is always subjective IMO, although it is always best to start small and work your way up. There are people who pick up riding right away and they can ride just about anything! Others shouldn't even be on two wheels of any CC. The thing to be aware of his the throttle, use it wisely and you should be OK. 

The he one thing with bikes like the VFR is that they have body work and are a little heavy, as you might have found out. This alone isn't a reason to not get one, but the cost of owning could get expensive if the weight and power prove to be too much. All I'll add is that if you have little to no experience on two wheels, look into rider training courses, they will help you advance much quicker and safer and what you learn could save your life. 

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, newrider said:

It was the kill switch! Never would of thought of that! Thank you all! Also was wondering, do you think it was a good first bike for me to get a 1997 vfr 750? A lot of people say I should of gotten something 250 cc but I love the vfr so far! Also anyone had to do a bonded title before? Im going through that right now any estimate on time in Alabama or cost ? 

A 4th gen was my first road bike as well.  I had however, ridden dirt bikes as a kid.  Handling the VFR was no problem.  If you haven't ridden on the street previously, I cannot recommend highly enough that you take ongoing training.  The MSF course or whatever is required to get an endorsement is not nearly enough to make one proficient in emergency braking, evasive maneuvers, overcoming survival reactions, etc.  Lee Parks, Keith Code and others offer training, books and videos that are beneficial. 

Archived