2014 vfr800 headlight diag?

So i just picked up a new 2014 vfr800, and one side of the headlights do not work.  a friend of mine, said its supposed to be like that because one side is low, the otherside is high beams... but it appears the outside of both sides are low beams, and the inside of both should be high beams.

my problem is the left side neither turn on, flashing, or with the switch.

i checked the fuses labeled headlights, and none are burned out, my next step was to check the relays, but i have no idea which ones are the headlight relays, IF it uses a separate relay for the left and right light clusters.

short of taking apart the whole front end and playing swap the plugs to verify if the LED's are working or not, I think ill bring it back to the dealer to get it fixed...

Hi

Congrats on the new bike. Regarding your headlight I would take it back immediately without fiddling with removing the front or checking relays. Both LED's are meant to come on simultaneously, that is both low beams and high beams. One of the small reasons I love the 2014 VFR800F and X :)

Cheers

Joe

Thanks! that was the intent after i checked the fuse... unfortunately the dealer is not open today/sunday so i have to wait til monday. so no more night riding

hopefully its an easy fix.. my other bikes are now gone, so all i will have in the mean time is a crappy 150cc scooter with a cvt..

the unit had been sitting for 2 years so mice could have gotten in there? no warning lights on the dash

i almost figured one side would be low beam, and the other side is high beam... but then i checked, and yea.. NOT right!

headlight low.jpg

Headlight high.jpg

• Member Contributer

Glad it's all sorted. Not just a simple globe change any more. Some general info attached regards the LED Headlights.

Cheers.

Grum.

VFR_Headlights001.jpg

• Member Contributer

Seems a strange use of the Headlight Relay. The same current through the relay contacts is going through the Dimmer Switch plus the relay coil current????? Why have the relay?

• Member Contributer

I think it is only showing the hi beam part of the circuit. 

Ill have a look look at the wiring diagram when I get back from my long weekend away on the bike. 

Infact act you should be able to as you posted the diagram :wacko:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, fink said:

I think it is only showing the hi beam part of the circuit. 

Ill have a look look at the wiring diagram when I get back from my long weekend away on the bike. 

Infact act you should be able to as you posted the diagram :wacko:

Hi Fink.

Can confirm the Head Light Relay is purely for Hi Beam operation only. As best as I can see on my full circuit diagram, the Hi Beam switching is as per the simplified drawing, a rather strange use of a relay!!

Unfortunately I don't have the full service manual, I only have some limited printed info. It would be interesting to see if there is better info regarding the new LED Headlights in the Electrical section of the shop manual.

Enjoy your long weekend away on the bike - Lucky You!

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I'll have a look at the manual when I get back. :wink:

i hope to. Forecast is rain and more rain.  Trip up this morning was glorious interspersed with heavy rain showers. 

Archived