Instrument Panel Replacement Question?

Grum

• Member Contributer

Would any of you wise people out there in VFR land know for sure if a new Instrument Panel odometer can be programmed by Honda to match the odometer reading from the panel removed??

I'm curious to know as I'm about to have mine replaced under warranty due to internal condensation, the dealership (at the moment) is unsure wether this can be done.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Did jzh not answer the question in the last post you asked it in? 

There was a guy who used to do it for older gen bikes but he was killed in an accident a few years ago. Subsequently no one has taken up the mantle.

if there was someone would you be willing to send your clocks to the uk to get done? 

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, fink said:

Did jzh not answer the question in the last post you asked it in? 

There was a guy who used to do it for older gen bikes but he was killed in an accident a few years ago. Subsequently no one has taken up the mantle.

if there was someone would you be willing to send your clocks to the uk to get done? 

Hi Fink.

Thanks for that, however JZH was unsure wether Honda can do this. I'm hoping someone in the know may be able to enlighten me/us as to wether Honda can set a specific value into the odometer of a new panel. I have heard of various car electronic panels being able to reset, but that is a reset to zero.

Regards.

Grum

• Member Contributer

It's not the end of the world if you have to have a new odometer.  Just document the current mileage and add 'em up to get the actual figure.  Not ideal, I know.

Another idea is that, IIRC, the odometer part of the 5th gen instrument panel is a module (yes, it is; here's one found on eBay:

$_12.JPG)

It is possible that the 8th gen uses a similar design, i.e., the electronics relating to the odometer are contained in a module, which can then be swapped from the o;d housing into the new housing.  A condensation issue is related to venting, most likely, so would be unaffected by which modules were present within the instrument assembly.  You might not want to mess around with a warantee replacement like that, though--and maybe the dealer doesn't, either!  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to swap modules, if that would solve the problem.  (If the dealer does do it, you might want to ask what happens to the new 0-miles odometer from the replacement assembly--someone could probably sell it for a few bucks...)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Very interesting JZH, it would make a lot of sense that in a legitimate case in replacing the panel that swapping an odometer module over is a good way to go. If this is the case with the 8th gen, agree, wouldn't hesitate in suggesting the module swap over provided it does not compromise the panel seal. Will discuss this option (if it is one) with the dealership.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

The only way you could do anything is to get your hands on a unit and take it to bits. 

Certainly havent ant noticed anything in the manual. 

There's plenty of places in the UK that can modify the odometer reading. No doubt they can be found in Australia too.

Archived