Burning rubber smell after a highway ride

Anyone have this?  2014 with 1900 kms, just got off the highway after about a 2 hour steady ride at 120 km/h into a headwind and when I stopped I got a whiff of burning rubber.  Got off the bike and the smell seemed to be coming from the middle of the bike somewhere, it was hard to tell because there was a bit of a breeze.  There was no smoke and after a 3-5 minutes it went away.  

I rode the rest of the way home - about 20 more minutes at about 100 km/h and pulled into the garage and really couldn't smell anything.

Anyone have this and what was it from?  

• Member Contributer

Check and see if one of the rubber hoses from the tank (e.g. vent or overflow) is resting on a rear header.

I smelled that once, and I probably had about the same amount of miles coincidentally, but I had just run The Dragon.  I wasn't riding aggressively, though, so I thought it was odd that the tires would be that hot.  I shrugged it off...  It was kinda mixed with the smell of burning brakes I thought...  LOL

I've noticed this a few times. I'm at around 2200 miles now. I still haven't really figured out how to take this bike apart yet, but I haven't really noticed it lately, either. Where is this stator located?

• 3 months later...

Well the burning rubber smell went away for about 4000 kms but it's back again.  Even after a short ride or during a long ride.  Took all the fairings off, lifted the tank, and exposed as much as I could and still cannot find any evidence of charring rubber.   It's definitely a burning rubber and not plastic (there's a big difference between the two).   I traced all the hoses I can see but some are in the bowels of the darned thing and you can't get to them.   The smell seems to be coming from somewhere down below in line with the back of the fuel tank where there is a lot of rubber.   I suspect it could be the rubber flap that gets lifted up when you lift the tank up.  Parts of it were resting on the rocker cover but do not look burned or charred but not sure if just real hot rubber is enough to make the stink.   My wife behind me at the stop sign even got a whiff.   I am stuck.   I hate to bring it in for them to tell me they can't find anything.  Maybe just keep running it till something gives up?  It has a two year warranty......

Anyone have this issue??????

Might have a bearing going bad.

They have metal side plates that are Rubber Coated.

If water gets in there, or it goes dry, then it heats up, eventually Seizes.

20150821-01.jpg

Not likely, considering how "new" your bike is.

Or your Battery Drain Tube or Radiator Overflow Tube might be laying against the Exhaust Pipes.

I believe I have solved it.  The rubber flap that hangs below the rear end of the gas tank to keep water out of the battery/fuses area was laying on top of the rocker cover instead of hanging behind it.  I tucked it in so it doesn't touch the engine and no more smell.   Seems to have resolved the issue. 

Archived