6th Gen Coolant Leak

Skids

• Member Contributer

Just got home from work and saw a pool of coolant developing under my 6th Gen (67k miles).

Fairings off and there's an obvious leak from the base of the water pump, but only when the engine is running.

I'm going to remove the pump cover tomorrow when the 1200 is in for its annual service and the ramp is free but before then, does anyone know if this is a regular thing with 6th Gens or if it's just likely to be the O-ring that has failed or something worse?  I need to get the O-ring and whatever else is likely to be needed ordered and delivered asap so I can ride it to work next Monday so a head's up on likely offenders would be appreciated.

The bike has been sat for 4 months whilst I was away. It passed its MoT test (annual roadworthy check) immediately I got home then I've ridden it 200 miles since.

Cheers.

IMAG0522.jpg

• Member Contributer

Can't say I have read this as being common issue with the 6 Gen. I have read more reports of T-Stat issues than leaks. Hope your issue isn't too bad.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

Can't say I have read this as being common issue with the 6 Gen. I have read more reports of T-Stat issues than leaks. Hope your issue isn't too bad.

I've ordered a new O-ring seal and will dismantle tomorrow. Hopefully that will sort it.

Just wondered if there was likely to be anything else.

• 3 months later...

Have a 6 Gen VFR800, 96.000km, 1st water pump replaced at 66.000 km. now it leaks again (both time from the hole drain under the pump: i.e. internal gasket is fatly).

I think the problem is the wrong coolant put in by the mechanics that serviced and replaced it.

Now I gonna replace it by myself and put in the OEM pro Honda hp coolant : 08C50-C321S02 or 08C50-C321S01.

What type of coolant did U use ?

• 4 weeks later...

I have 80k on my 6th gen, no leaks yet.

Could just be a one-off thing with your bike.

Sounds like you have it under control with what you plan to do, let us know how it turns out.

I replaced the pump with a new one after flushing the old coolant with distilled water. Its good as new now.

{ difficulties: 1) undoing of the cylinder drain bold took time until i found the right tool to get in there. 2) bleeding the air out...   }

my old 2004 vfr800 (with over 200.000 km) had no issues with the water pump.

Archived