Engine cover / oil pan replacement

• Member Contributer

Hello,

I'm new to VFRD, but have owned VFR's on and off since 1998. 

I'm a bit embarrassed that I can't find the procedure to remove/replace the clutch cover in my Honda shop manual. I've scoured the manual and its index, and come up with nothing. Perhaps this procedure is so straightforward that Honda feels it is not worth the paper and ink? It seems that removal/reinstallation of clutch cover would consist of the following:  - remove lower side cowls  - drain oil - remove clutch cover - install new cover with new gasket - tighten bolts in a crisscross pattern starting at the center of the cover - install new oil filter - add oil - reinstall lower side cowls. Can anyone help me find formal instructions for this procedure?

My second question concerns the same issue, but a different procedure. The good bike has a broken tab on the oil pan where the bracket for the left lower cowl stay attaches. Having looked carefully through the service manual and its index, I find no reference to an oil pan at all [Except in engine removal/installation where instructions are given to remove the lower fairing brackets from the oil pan]. Can anyone help me find formal instructions for this procedure? 

Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer.

• Member Contributer

Hi there, 

No need to drain the oil, especially if you place your bike on its side stand (in gear if the road is not level)

Here the page for the 4th gen

Capture.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks very much, Dutchy. I appreciate the step-by-step instructions.

I also finally found the oil pan remove/replace steps in section 4 'lubrication system' in the Honda service manual. I could swear I'd read that section 3 times looking for oil pan info. Now I have to decide whether to drop the exhausts to switch oil pans, or fashion a new bracket from bar stock and bolt it onto the evap canister bracket with a longer M6 bolt.

It's interesting that the right crankcase cover uses a gasket, but the oil pan does not.

On another note - which race team do you own?

• Member Contributer

No idea, that must be a little joke from the mod team... :-)

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Thanks very much, Dutchy. I appreciate the step-by-step instructions.

I also finally found the oil pan remove/replace steps in section 4 'lubrication system' in the Honda service manual. I could swear I'd read that section 3 times looking for oil pan info. Now I have to decide whether to drop the exhausts to switch oil pans, or fashion a new bracket from bar stock and bolt it onto the evap canister bracket with a longer M6 bolt.

It's interesting that the right crankcase cover uses a gasket, but the oil pan does not.

On another note - which race team do you own?

Dutchy is just shy, he is a founding member of the Skyy Vodka team that VR46 bought and turned into his Sky team for Moto3.

These days Dutchy spends his time drinking rare single malts and talking about how fast he used to be when he was riding in America.

• Member Contributer

5th amendmend right and all that....

Tea Total Me

water.jpg

and no, I do not like swimming in Boston harbour....  :-)

Archived