Buyers Tips And Advice

Storx

I recently moved across the country from Colorado to Florida and in doing this i brought my 2007 KTM 450exc with me, when i was in colorado i really enjoyed the bike because most of the areas i rode were dirt or hard packed clay, so i ran dual sport tires on the bike year around and enjoyed it to heck, since moving to Florida i have found that there are VERY few places to really ride outside of 1 national park thats 2hrs from me and a few motorcycle parks that cost money to ride at everytime i wanna go there, so i bought a set of supermoto tires and rims to convert my bike to a more sportier bike to make it easier to ride on the roads to ride with other street rider groups down here, but i have found that i am nervous most of the time riding with groups, they typically ride on roads that have posted speeds of 55+ and most of the time do faster than those posted speeds so i really am having to ring my bike out to keep up and at those speeds on such a light weight bike the wind pushes me all over the road... so i am nervous half the ride riding and the enjoyment of riding is just not as fun as it could be.. in colorado i would take multiday trips on fire roads and camp overnight along the way, ya i can still do that down here but its to hot most of the year to do it so i feel like a touring bike would better suit me for year around riding..

I know nothing about the bikes, i went up to a local bike store to look at some used bikes they had and the VFR800 really stood out to me when i asked him which bikes he had that are decent touring bikes, the guy said the VFR is like a 80% street/20% fireroad type of bike leaning heavily toward street.. the one i looked at today is more than likely not going to be the one i possibly purchase, because it was a 2006 with 48k on the clock and they wanted $4k for it, i found a few slightly older models with far less miles around the same price or actually cheaper within 150 miles of me.. i think money i may travel about an hour to look at one of those after i contact my insurance, i dread the price on this bike as it looks very sporty and having a 800cc motor, my KTM i pay $72/yr for full coverage currently due to the motor falling in the 400-500cc class according to my insurance company...

Basically i was curious what tips or advice i should know looking at one of these, i am leaning on the VFR over other sport touring bikes because just from a few quick googles the motor seems to be very reliable since im finding used ones for sale with 60-100k on the clock...

I am more than likely going to purchase one if the insurance isnt a killer and replace the KTM with it, i love the KTM, but i am not able to ride offroad like i once did and the offroad riding that is in florida seems to be mostly swampy areas that ive tried and it was honestly no fun, if im gonna do that i mightest well get a dedicated offroad bike around 1000bucks and beat it to death in the swamps instead of damaging a KTM, which are not cheap to work on..

Welcome to the fun.

The VFR can be a occasional dirt road bike (thinking driveways or heavily traveled dirt/gravel roads). (I've done it) but really she's mostly a street hungry machine. I'd say more like 95% street and 5% dirt roads but that all depends on your location and what you fit for tires. I'm not sure what's in the market for off road tires in those rim sizes.

I've tried to dislike my VFR, I've owned a few bikes (CBR's mostly, a Triumph, some dual sport XL's and a CRF450X) with dirt bikes as a kid.

The VFR doesn't excite me in the looks department (I do like the newest ones a bit more now) But I don't hate it either.

Its not a lightweight race ready rig for track days. She'd work as a first track day machine but you'd be exhausted moving the bikes weight at speed (in stock condition)

Every VFR before 2010 has quirks with the electrical charging system. You need to get the wire harness upgraded (around 75 bucks if you can turn a wrench). A forum member makes a great kit.

If you've ever accomplished a Valve adjustment this is probably the most time consuming process going. (the Vtec makes everything in that department longer not harder).

All that being said.

I've traveled across the country on the VFR back and forth (that's Kittery, ME to San diego), (With the wife as passenger both directions)

I've ridden at the blue ridge, at the dragon's tail,, spent some time at palomar mtn in cali, the Pacific coast highway, she's seen Mt St. Helen's, redwood trees, Yellowstone national park, mt rushmore, niagra falls and the top of mt Washington. Plus tons of highway in between.

The only mechanical issue I've had was with the charging system. (sorting out this week hopefully at 30k miles). melted a fuse but she got me home from a week long Nova Scotia adventure.

A few bikes on the forum have over 100k miles and they are still daily drivers.

So after a long winded post

I friggin love my 07 VFR.

I can't think of another bike I'd want to have been riding on these adventures.

In fact I'll be doing it again late May, ( a co-worker wanted to ride his FZ1 to San Diego and back this summer).

Hopefully some of this helps you out?

Welcome to the fun.

The VFR can be a occasional dirt road bike (thinking driveways or heavily traveled dirt/gravel roads). (I've done it) but really she's mostly a street hungry machine. I'd say more like 95% street and 5% dirt roads but that all depends on your location and what you fit for tires. I'm not sure what's in the market for off road tires in those rim sizes.

I've tried to dislike my VFR, I've owned a few bikes (CBR's mostly, a Triumph, some dual sport XL's and a CRF450X) with dirt bikes as a kid.

The VFR doesn't excite me in the looks department (I do like the newest ones a bit more now) But I don't hate it either.

Its not a lightweight race ready rig for track days. She'd work as a first track day machine but you'd be exhausted moving the bikes weight at speed (in stock condition)

Every VFR before 2010 has quirks with the electrical charging system. You need to get the wire harness upgraded (around 75 bucks if you can turn a wrench). A forum member makes a great kit.

If you've ever accomplished a Valve adjustment this is probably the most time consuming process going. (the Vtec makes everything in that department longer not harder).

All that being said.

I've traveled across the country on the VFR back and forth (that's Kittery, ME to San diego), (With the wife as passenger both directions)

I've ridden at the blue ridge, at the dragon's tail,, spent some time at palomar mtn in cali, the Pacific coast highway, she's seen Mt St. Helen's, redwood trees, Yellowstone national park, mt rushmore, niagra falls and the top of mt Washington. Plus tons of highway in between.

The only mechanical issue I've had was with the charging system. (sorting out this week hopefully at 30k miles). melted a fuse but she got me home from a week long Nova Scotia adventure.

A few bikes on the forum have over 100k miles and they are still daily drivers.

So after a long winded post

I friggin love my 07 VFR.

I can't think of another bike I'd want to have been riding on these adventures.

In fact I'll be doing it again late May, ( a co-worker wanted to ride his FZ1 to San Diego and back this summer).

Hopefully some of this helps you out?

I wouldn't purposly take the VFR off road, its not an enduro by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, if you blindly follow siri down a washed out logging path, it'll get through. It'll be a fight, but she'll make it. I also love my VFR, even with the issues im trying to sort. The only advice I can say is just pay attention to any hickups, as i have found out even things that come off as small, might end up being alot of work to sort through. Also check if the valves have ever been done.

• Member Contributer

Storx....welcome!

Your questions are entirely understandable and have been answered many times before by folk in similar positions so spend a little time cruising the forum and you'll find pretty much everything you need to know. But if you still have some specific questions, go ahead and ask.

The VFR doesn't suit everyone, but most folk that get one love it. It's a genuine 100,000mile+ engine and there's plenty of low (and high) cost tweaks you can do over time that loads have done so you'll know they work.

Keep looking for the right bike, don't jump at the first, get an idea of condition/mileage vs price and I'm sure you'll find a cracker.

Let us know how you get on.

Semper Fi! :beer:

• Member Contributer

It isn't an offroad bike and I can't believe you were told that. It's way too heavy and not made for that in any way. It is a good distance bike and insurance isn't an issue for me. A lot of your insurance cost depends on your driving record, your credit score, and how long you've been with your insurance company. I get every discount my company has, never get dinged for speeding tickets or even totaling bikes and cars. In fact, they've paid for three vehicles I've totaled at more than retail book. Ride a VFR and you will know if you like them or not. Ask for written maintenance records.

Archived