Need Help To Straighten Handlebars/fork Alignment

faran

I have recently acquired 1996 VFR750, it was dropped by the seller, handlebars are not straight and I need help from all of you experts to align them:

1- Handlebar is not aligned, left(clutch) side is leaning to the left while tire and front fender is in the center. Please see picture attached. How can I adjust and align it?

So far, I have loosened all the pinch bolts, axle bolt, main bolt in the middle of handlebars but that handle is not straightening out. Tire is in one direction and handle is leaning towards clutch side.

Am I missing something? I tried hitting the wheel hard, rotating, pushing on triple tree and every possible thing, but it's not budging and moving at all?

Just to be clear, I loosened(finger tight) clamp holding forks pinch bolts(middle and top), one on each side. Then loosened one pinch bolt on each side of axle, main axle bolt, big bolt in the middle of steering/handlebars but it's not aligning/moving at all.

I have watched a few videos about it, but in my case either I am NOT loosening any specific bolt or damn handle bar is seized!

Any tricks or help please? Thanks a lot guys.

post-31417-0-06831400-1459596127.jpg

post-31417-0-81087100-1459596137.jpg

• Member Contributer

If it were me, I would remove the forks and check them for straightness. This would also allow you to clean up the fork tubes and triple clamps so that everything is nice and clean before reassembling. Before disassembling make note on the height of the fork tubes above the top triple clamp (top of the tube, not preload adjuster) and make sure both forks are at the same height when putting them back on. Not sure on the 4 Gen, but the 6 Gen is 41mm above the top clamp, at least according to the Honda Service Manual.

If it were me, I would remove the forks and check them for straightness. This would also allow you to clean up the fork tubes and triple clamps so that everything is nice and clean before reassembling. Before disassembling make note on the height of the fork tubes above the top triple clamp (top of the tube, not preload adjuster) and make sure both forks are at the same height when putting them back on. Not sure on the 4 Gen, but the 6 Gen is 41mm above the top clamp, at least according to the Honda Service Manual.

Thanks so much Duc2V4, appreciate it.

At the moment, I am trying to adjust the handlebar to make sure it's in place, if I completely remove the forks, is it going to help in the alignment?

P.S: Would it be beneficial to replace fork oil too? Though seals look good and no oil leak or anything.

Thanks for your help.

• Member Contributer

If the clip-ons are stock, they should have a little tab that hangs down that should go in the small gap in the triple clamp. There is only a few mm of "adjustment" available and by taking off the forks, you can make sure the tube portion that is wrapped by the clip-on is clean and not causing it to stick.

Again, if it were me, while the forks were off, I would use this opportunity to change the oil. The main reason of removing the forks is to make sure they are straight.

• Member Contributer

As long as you're at it, maybe a chance to turn lemons in to lemonade. If you send the forks to Jamie, http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr750.html he can not only check them out, but also tune them for your riding style - new springs, valving, etc. That and a re-valved shock would transform the handling.

Whoa. Before you start thinking about upgrading, you need to find out why things aren't straight.

If it were me, I'd get the front wheel off the ground (put some blocks of wood under the headers at bottom of engine).

Verify that steering turns freely.

Remove wheel and fender.

Loosen all the pinch bolts and verify that the fork tubes are free to slide around.

Reassemble everything and see if things are better.

If not, it's time to take off the fork tubes and check to see if they're straight.

Also check the steering stops to see if they took a hit, indicating that the lower triple clamp might have gotten bent.

Whoa. Before you start thinking about upgrading, you need to find out why things aren't straight.

If it were me, I'd get the front wheel off the ground (put some blocks of wood under the headers at bottom of engine).

Verify that steering turns freely.

Remove wheel and fender.

Loosen all the pinch bolts and verify that the fork tubes are free to slide around.

Reassemble everything and see if things are better.

If not, it's time to take off the fork tubes and check to see if they're straight.

Also check the steering stops to see if they took a hit, indicating that the lower triple clamp might have gotten bent.

My main concern at this point before moving forward for anything else is to straighten up handle bars(of course, if possibly I can?).

Let's start from square one regarding about straightening out those handle bars.

In terms of order and sequence all bolts are finger tight now:

1- I loosened up 2 pinch bolt on top triple tree for forks

2- Loosened up 2 bolts for middle fork holder

3 Loosened up main axle bolt

4-Loosened up 2 pinch bolts for axle, one on each side

5- Loosened up a bolt, in the middle of handle bar/steering right below ignition switch and in front of gas tank

Is it the right sequence or I am missing something?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Glad its close! most likely is that the front stay is slightly bent which would screw up the alignment.

Archived