6Th Gen Shock On 5Th Gen?

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

According to Ohlins, the VTEC shock length is 317.5mm and the Fi shock length is 325mm, a difference of only 7.5mm. A shim at the top could address that difference? However, the 6th gen spring is 971lbs and the 5th gen spring is 857lbs, and the VTEC stroke is slightly shorter at 54.5mm (compared with the Fi's 58mm). Valving is likely somewhat different. But, it doesn't sound out of the ball park to me. It seems easier to find 6th gen shocks (not that I'm in the market for new, but even Ohlins still lists them for the VTEC). Thoughts?

Ciao,

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Well, my thoughts are now that the stroke reduction is not desirable. Having to change the spring and possibly also needing to do internal work to the shock would make this an expensive alternative--likely not worth the effort.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Are you stuck on Ohlins? I have a 5th gen Ohlins with factory 857lb spring. It needs a rebuild. But I kinda prefer Penske...

• Member Contributer

Well, not really. Coincidentally, I have a freshly Lindemann-revalved and re-built Penske (w/1,200 lb spring) sitting at a friend's house in California, but that's supposed to go on my other RC46. But if you're selling...PM me.

Cheers,

I have a 6th gen ohlins on my 5th gen using a custom upper mount to regain the ride height due to the shorter shock.

Been working perfectly for a long while now.

I haven't noticed any problems with the shorter stroke.

The 5th and 6th gen shocks use the same spring rates as far as I know, both 857 lbs 15.3 kg. The only Honda I know of that runs a heavier spring rate is the XX blackbird using a 16.6 kg or 948 lbs.

Fitment of the shorter 6th gen shock on the 5th should not be a problem, shim the top or use the shock length adjuster found on higher end shocks(Ohlins/Penske etc.)

• Member Contributer

There's the OEM spring rate, and then there's the Race-Tech/etc. calculated spring rate. Considering how underspring the OEM shocks are for most "non-Asian sized" people, not changing the spring rate when ordering a new shock seems crazy. So, I'm assuming I will be changing the spring rate regardless of which shock I get.

The 3.5mm difference between the 5th and 6th gen stroke lengths may not be a huge issue, nor the 7.5mm difference in overall length, but until I'm sure about how, exactly, I'm going to do the front end conversion (and its effect on trail) I don't want to get stuck with the wrong shock. I'd rather have the shock length adjuster available for adjustments, rather than using all of it just to get the shock to fit!

Ciao,

Archived