Thinking Of Selling :-(

viffviff

I'm thinking of selling my 1999 VFR800. I've really enjoyed the bike, and it has been great fun. It's just getting a bit too heavy for me (after a bit of an elbow injury last year).

I was thinking of putting it back to stock for sale, but if any members might be interested in it as is, please could you let me know? I could then list it on the classifieds, or whatever is the proper process here.

A bit about the bike...

2 previous owners. The first PO bought it new and sold it in 2012 to a chap in the same village who had a VTEC. The 2nd PO did 500 miles on it (since his VTEC luggage woudn't fit it). I bought it in 2014 with 13k miles, and it now has 16,800 miles.

It is one of the nicest VFR Fis I have seen (and I always go and check out other VFRs I spy!). I put a Sargent seat on it, and also fitted Jamie Daugherty's front fork kit and 929 shock (just last year). I also bought new suspension linkages for the rear so the shock had minimum "sticktion". I also treated it to a new chain and sprockets, new head bearings, new brakes at around 14k miles. New Pilot Road 4 tyres at the same time. New Yuasa battery. And a bagster tank cover in red.

It has a full service history, and was last serviced by Honda main dealer 13,850 miles. I did an oil and filter change at 15,300 miles, and it is due its valve clearance service this year.

I stupidly slid it lowside on a training day last year.... that's the only bad bit. It was low speed and little damage, but the fairing looked a mess and the bar ends, so I bought new ones from Honda! So it has a brand new right fairing, RH bar end and brake pedal (which was ok but a bit scratched). I can add pics if anyone is interested.

(PS, if people were interested in the add-ons (DMr suspension, seat etc), that would sway me towards putting it back to standard for sale).

Given that you're pretty close to me (Also midlands) - Could you list the extras you'd be willing to part with and the price, please?

In some instances, i may be willing to part-ex the stock item and some cash if you lack the original part.

• Member Contributer

Have seen and rode this bike. Can confirm its well looked after. If you want to part the Jamie kit out Chris let me know. You buying another bike? Fancy a last blast at Cadwell again? evillaugh.gif

• Member Contributer

A bike with such low mileage (for a VFR) would be worth a bit more if you took it back to stock. You certainly wouldn't get back much money for the extras if you included them with the bike, so the main reason to include them is if you cannot re-fit the OEM parts for some reason.

Btw, if you do follow my totally unbiased advice :wink:, I am quite intetrested in the Sargent seat--provided is doesn't have red on it!

Ciao,

Hi Adey, good the hear from you again! If I get another bike, or hang onto it for a while longer, Cadwell may be on the cards! I would be willing to part out the DMr full set-up if no one wants the bike as is.

At least I know now the people are interested in the bits, so I'll look at breaking the bits down and turning the bike back to stock - and then listing them once that is done. the bits would be:

DMr suspension, only 1000 miles and 1 year old. Front fork kit with adjusters, and 929 rear shock.

Sargent seat - 2 piece with red piping

Brand new and unused seat cowl (from original owner)

Bagster tank bag

If anyone is interested in the bike as is, please let me know in the next few days?

It's making me sad just think about selling it :sad: - it's beem a great bike, and the VFR community very friendly and helpful

Hi Snowdog,

PM'ed you.

Forgot to add, the bike had a new RR at 13k miles, I replaced the fork seals last year (and fitted genuine Honda ones) when I fitted the DMr fork kit - the previous seals were fine but it seemed sensible replace while the forks were off, it has stainless steel headers and header bolts, new header gaskets, the brake fluid was changed at 14k miles, and the cooling system flushed (which was very clean) and refilled with Sylkolene 'Pro Cool' non-silicate coolant. It short, it has been well and truly pampered!

I also have a full history file on the bike, including the original purchase invoice, all receipts, and emails from the original owner who ran the bike for 13 years. He also sent me a load of magazine articles on the VFR which he collected over the year, and which made great reading. I've put those in the file too and it makes a really nice history collection for the bike. It also has Datatag, which I renewed when I bought the bike. (Goes without saying it has both keys, service book, Haynes manual plus a copy of the genuine Honda Maintenance Manual in a ring binder (it's huge!) and other bits and pieces).

Thinking of selling?

STOP THINKING!!!! :-)

This seems to be the best advice HEH. Everyone that I've talked to who has had a VFR wishes they still had it. But I do know how new/different bike syndrome works, I'm on my tenth bike so far and own 3 at once right now ;).

Thinking of selling?

STOP THINKING!!!! :-)

This seems to be the best advice HEH. Everyone that I've talked to who has had a VFR wishes they still had it. But I do know how new/different bike syndrome works, I'm on my tenth bike so far and own 3 at once right now ;).

I know, I wish it was just 30kg lighter! It's become a brute to lug in and out of the garage.

Try moving around a GTR1400 then we will talk about heavy in the garage ;). My SP1 is only a few pounds lighter but it seems way heavier for some reason. But I hear ya walking around a 500lb bike kinda sucks. But does riding it make up for that?

As it turns out we met at Cadwell!

I have seen this bike and it is a corker, unfortunately something has come up and I'm not now in a position to buy.

Thanks Snowdog, and I remember meeting you too at Cadwell now!

It's up for sale in the Classifieds. I'll leave it there for only a week and if no-one wants it in it's modified state, I'll de-mod it and put it up on Autotrader or flea-bay. I really hope someone wants it. It would be so sad to have to revert it back to stock...

I couldn't imagine getting a GTR1400 out of the garage! It is great to ride (the VFR) but I'm finding it harder to lug about after an elbow injury (not bike related thankfully).

Archived