(Rebuilt) 1000R Forks Slamming Into Something Hard On Full Compression

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

I had a very similar bahaviour on my VFkR when I underfilled the fork with oil. Are you sure that is not the case? Height measurement should be with no spring, and compressed.

Cheers.

Yep, that's the way I did it too.

cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking at the fork internals photo it looks like the spring and valving are not being retained by circlips.

Was this just taken when not fully assembled?

• Member Contributer

Well spotted. Yeah, the pic was taken while I was cleaning everything, so not ready for consumption :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

haven't got back to them Jeff. Still trying to sort out my carb issue :-(

This arrived from DSS, and is (apparently) the 'oil lock piece' I ordered. Not sure if I need it or not now.

oilLock.jpeg

This also arrived, but I've resisted the temptation to fiddle with (it so far!)

vf1000f.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I stripped the forks again to get a better idea of what I have, and what I should have. Turns out, with some detective work from Jeff (thx113), I have a pair of '85 forks, and the internals are different from what I was expecting.

The left leg has NO oil lock piece fitted, but should have.

The right has a simple 'sleeve' lock piece (of which I now have 2). The pic actually has it installed reversed, but I corrected that.

There are no pieces left lodged in the sleeves that wouldn't come out (thanks to my endoscope for some shitty pictures!)

At the end of the re-fit, both legs compress to different heights (!)

I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and ebay another pair of forks :-(

left.jpg

DCIM0003.JPG

DCIM0005.JPG

right.jpg

DSC_0063.JPG

• Member Contributer

Wait, what does the other oil lock piece look like?  You have one installed on each leg, right?  They should be different designs.

• Member Contributer

Well no. There isn't one in the left leg (top pic above), and I can't find a part number for it. According to the manual it should look like this:

book.jpg

but that doesn't match the parts fiche??

There's this on ebay, but its for a 750: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181922342351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT so not sure if it will fit.

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2016 at 0:47 PM, Captain 80s said:

Oil lock piece on the other fork shows still available as well at $13.55.

That one is unique to the 1000R looking under "where used"

This should be it.  I've found the fische pictures aren't always true to what the part really looks like.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Captain. This looks like the part I ordered from DSS (above). Just to be sure, I ordered it from your Babbits link, but they want 179-fucking dollars to ship it to Oz!

I might grab that ebay item and see if it fits the internals.

Thanks for the research.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer
On 5/9/2016 at 1:10 PM, Captain 80s said:

No, the one in your picture is #5

Yeah, that's what I thought, but when I ordered with that part number, that's what turned up? #5 on the fiche from what I can tell is installed, and is numbered (4) in the manual pic above?

I'm so confused :wacko:

• Member Contributer

These the parts I took from my (VF500F2) left (TRAC) damper rod to visualize:

IMAG4005.jpg

The (open) rings left and right in the picture fall in the grooves on the rod, holding the spring and rings in place

IMAG3970.jpg

The "oil lock" piece in the black and white picture stayed on my fork lower as well.  It has a threaded hole in the middle (to hold the bolt goes goes in underneath) and 4 "flow holes".  I donot know ofcourse how many the VF1000 should have (I guess 4 as well)

For the VF this is part# 38

Capture.JPG

There is only such a piece in the left (TRAC) fork.

The right (non TRAC) fork does not have the piece, but a  simple cylinder sleeve (with a simple hole) that slides over the end of the damper rod that bolts into the fork lower.

Alternatively, send a PM to The Dutchy here on VFRD....

Check CMSNL.com on their parts availability and shipping charges.

If insane, I can pick these parts up and put them in a plain envelope, they appear  small enough not to require shipment in a box. :-)

and if it does, a box till 2kg costs Euro 18 to ship down under (no tracktrace) or Euro 25 euro tracktrace+insurance.

• Member Contributer

Each fork has a oil lock piece.  You have one in your picture (and from what I can tell the correct one for that fork leg), now you need "#6" in the manual picture.

I must be confused too...

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Each fork has a oil lock piece.  You have one in your picture (and from what I can tell the correct one for that fork leg), now you need "#6" in the manual picture.

I must be confused too...

Yeah, that's what I figured too. The missing piece of my puzzle is #6 in the manual, but it doesn't appear on the '85-6 fiche anywhere. It was fitted to the '84 model, but the forks were revised after that.

I've fitted the new part to the other fork, and filled both with 15W oil. Haven't had a chance to test it yet. Any ideas why the two legs compress different amounts?

thanks for taking the time to help

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

These the parts I took from my (VF500F2) left (TRAC) damper rod to visualize:

The (open) rings left and right in the picture fall in the grooves on the rod, holding the spring and rings in plac

The "oil lock" piece in the black and white picture stayed on my fork lower as well.  It has a threaded hole in the middle (to hold the bolt goes goes in underneath) and 4 "flow holes".  I donot know ofcourse how many the VF1000 should have (I guess 4 as well)

For the VF this is part# 38

There is only such a piece in the left (TRAC) fork.

The right (non TRAC) fork does not have the piece, but a  simple cylinder sleeve (with a simple hole) that slides over the end of the damper rod that bolts into the fork lower.

Alternatively, send a PM to The Dutchy here on VFRD....

Check CMSNL.com on their parts availability and shipping charges.

If insane, I can pick these parts up and put them in a plain envelope, they appear  small enough not to require shipment in a box. :-)

and if it does, a box till 2kg costs Euro 18 to ship down under (no tracktrace) or Euro 25 euro tracktrace+insurance.

Thanks Dutchy. That is what I was expecting to find as well (same as my vf750), but apparently the '85-6 1000R forks were changed, and that part was not used.

Thanks for the offer ;-)

cheers

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, CBVFRbikeboy said:

Yeah, that's what I figured too. The missing piece of my puzzle is #6 in the manual, but it doesn't appear on the '85-6 fiche anywhere. It was fitted to the '84 model, but the forks were revised after that.

I've fitted the new part to the other fork, and filled both with 15W oil. Haven't had a chance to test it yet. Any ideas why the two legs compress different amounts?

cheers

ian

I disagree.  I see it in the link I posted.

#5 is the one you have and you have it installed on the correct fork.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, CBVFRbikeboy said:

cheers

ian

What do you mean by compress by different amounts? The extended length, or the compressed length? The fully compressed length would be where the end of the fork tube touches down at the bottom of the slider; the oil lock piece should mostly slide into the end of the fork tube at this point (unless you put it in upside down).

For the extended length, that is determined by contact between the top out spring and the bottom of the fork tube, and the underside of the damper rod seal area.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I disagree.  I see it in the link I posted.

I did investigate that as well. I ordered that part from DSS, and this is what they sent:

right.jpg

Clearly not the part #6 in the manual pic :-(

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Terry said:

What do you mean by compress by different amounts? The extended length, or the compressed length? The fully compressed length would be where the end of the fork tube touches down at the bottom of the slider; the oil lock piece should mostly slide into the end of the fork tube at this point (unless you put it in upside down).

For the extended length, that is determined by contact between the top out spring and the bottom of the fork tube, and the underside of the damper rod seal area.

I discovered this when I was putting the oil in, without springs, and forks pushed all the way up. There's a pic above that show the sliders at different heights. The right leg is close to the lower triple, but the left is about twice that distance away.

• Member Contributer

Maybe they have the numbers swapped.   I worked at a dealer, and found errors like that on the parts fische.  Front and rear turn signal stays on a VF500F were backwards.  There were a few people that ordered the front (they are the shortest on any VF) and got the super long rears.  Took me a couple times to figure it out.

anyway...   dammit!!

Now it's bugging me and it's not even my bike.

Have you got the left and right chrome legs mixed up to give you the unequal lengths?

There is a difference in left to right leg length in the 85/86 model.

• Member Contributer

Shit.  I see where I was getting confused, assuming the drawing was shitty.
Valve vs Piece.

But look at the VF1000F fische and it is very clear.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c3944f870023420a324c0/front-fork

Archived