Would Anyone Here Who Lives In Indiana And Also Be Willing To Let Me Test Ride Their Bike?

V4Mitch

Hey guys, I screwed up the title and can't edit it but you get the idea.

There doesn't seem to be many VFR's for sale in my area and I have been considering purchasing one out of state and having it shipped. Unfortunately I have not ridden one and hate to make that commitment without knowing exactly what they feel like to ride.

I have 3 years of solid riding experience and am not an aggressive rider(a wreck 2 years ago made me much more paranoid on the road). In exchange, I would be willing to let you ride my custom 94 Magna, my 2004 Honda 599, or my 2007 V Star 1300 (if it doesn't sell by the time we meet). I would be very respectful of your machine and your time and I would be very appreciative.

V Star: IMG_20160310_161531732_zpsnefy2p2y.jpg

Magna: 20151008_122213_zpsdsueebne.jpg

599: 20150710_114341_zpsqxxmf6l1.jpg

Beautiful bikes you got there!

I think you'd be hard pressed not to fall in love with the 5th Gen viffer, IMO the best generation!

Having said that, I'd bet most guys here would sooner let you ride their wife than their bike! :blush: Thankfully I'm not in that camp

20140725_091618_zpsb2223301.jpg

I totally understand and as of today I have a lot less to offer in return as I sold both the 599 and the V Star today. The magna is the only one left.

It's not a big deal if no-one volunteers. Like I said, I'm very reluctant to let anyone ride my bikes either....even when they're buying them haha.

Thank you man, the Magna is my pride and joy. The others are nice too though...and as of today not mine haha.

• Member Contributer

soo whats custom on the magna? lower bars? fender eliminator? its a nice bike but Honda did not have a "custom" did they, it was just the standard and the deluxe.

I like magnas so just wondering what you have done to yours

• Member Contributer

I totally understand and as of today I have a lot less to offer in return as I sold both the 599 and the V Star today. The magna is the only one left.

It's not a big deal if no-one volunteers. Like I said, I'm very reluctant to let anyone ride my bikes either....even when they're buying them haha.

Thank you man, the Magna is my pride and joy. The others are nice too though...and as of today not mine haha.

I can't offer a test ride Mitch, but here's a video to wet your appetite. Its the next best thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDlGQSxH4fA

soo whats custom on the magna? lower bars? fender eliminator? its a nice bike but Honda did not have a "custom" did they, it was just the standard and the deluxe.

I like magnas so just wondering what you have done to yours

Yes I meant custom in the sense of customized.

Here is the mod list off the top of my head:

Drag bars, bar end mirrors, highway pegs, cobra exhaust, K and N intake, carb re-jet, geared down 1 in the front(15t), smoked turn lenses, custom led brake/licence plate setup, stepped up the rear tire from 150 to 180 (pirelli night dragons), ebc brake upgrade...I think that's it for now haha.

Honda made a "deluxe" version which just meant a scalloped paint job and a mini fairing, but no custom.

I live in Batesville, IN and have a '99 in good shape that you can ride. Come on down and maybe buy me lunch or bring me a six pack of good IPA.

You can e-mail me at: haganengr@yahoo.com

Send your phone # in the e-mail and I will call you. You can ride it today if you don't mind temps in the 40's. I'll be around all day.

I will send you a PM also.

George

I feel your pain. I too was looking for a test ride before I bought from out of state. I didn't ask here but tried locally and on the VFRWorld site, with no luck. I actually ran into a guy that had recently purchased one of the bike listed for sale at a Stealership. He was agreeable to let me ride it. I should have taken it for a spin on the spot but I we were heading out, so I took his number to arrange a time later. Like you, I was very considerate of his time and was willing to no inconvenience him too much. After several failed attempts at connecting with him, I ran out of time and never did get to ride.

As far as letting someone else ride my bike. I'm pretty okay with it under the right circumstances. If someone shows up on their own bike, wearing the right gear, I am typically content to let someone ride my bike. Shorts and a t-shirt with claims of "riding" experience - not so much! It can be a little nerve racking when I'm selling a bike but I don't care for the whole "cash in hand to test ride" crap. I've bought and sold several bikes without having "cash in hand".

To finish my story - I loaded up my car, hooked up a trailer and drove 800 miles in 12 hours. Met up with Wayfastwil (who'd recently bought the bike from NCY2K) in the morning. Quick test ride - first time ever on a 2000 VFR. (I did take a 2004 out but didn't love the V-tech.) Loaded up the bike and drove another 800 mile in 12 hours, back home. Here I am 2 weeks later and very happy with the bike. I took out my SV650S yesterday to wash it so I could sell it. What a difference! The VFR is awesome! Still sporty, way more comfy, lots more power, and butter smooth.

Basically, I had to take a gamble that the VFR was going to be right for me. That said, I bought a 2003 CBR600RR off the showroom floor, no test rides on new bikes. I was very happy with that bike at the time. I figured the VFR couldn't be horrible, and if I didn't love it, I could resell it.

If you haven't seen it yet. You may want to try this site - http://cycle-ergo.com/

It can give you an idea of what to expect the riding position will be like. It also allows you to customize a few parameters to see how it will affect your riding position. Like adding rearsets or Helibars.

The only thing that it doesn't do it show the width difference of various handlebars. Like the difference between a standard handlebar on your 599 vs. Clip-ons.

I don't think you can go wrong with a VFR. The sound of this bike truly is music to your ears. Still makes me smile every time I'm on it.

Find one on Craig's List for sale and test ride it, hard to beat free if you can find one locally, Got to be a few in Indy for sale.

I searched CL for 9 months. I only ever saw 2 for sale in the greater Phoenix area. Both were over an hour drive. Both ads seemed like the seller was high maintenance. One was asking for WAY too much and wanted "cash in hand" for a test ride. The other was an older gentleman that could only show the bike from 10-5pm on weekdays. He was also asking too much. Both posted - "DON'T WASTE MY TIME".

I found 2 others at dealerships but because they were at dealers, no test rides.

It's not that easy to find a 5th gen to test ride.

Update : I spoke too soon!!

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5480581664.html

I didn't know Yamaha made a VFR :wink:http://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcy/5487354708.html

Archived