1992 Headlight Dims When Shifting Gears

gloucma

Hi all. 1992 with new battery and tested RR.

Do the stators not work at lower revs when they start to go?

If this is a common way for them to fail then I am 99% sure this is my problem.

Like I stated in the title, the headlight dims unless revs are up well above idle. Give it a little twist, revs go up and headlight gets bright.

This started happening at the end of last season after I chased down another electrical issue. (It was the infamous faulty plug in the wire harness coming out of the Stator. I cut and shrank wrapped that connection)

Thanks for any help!

• Member Contributer

Probably worth doing "the drill" and going through the charging system thoroughly. There are pinned threads in the electrical section with explanations.

Switchblade. Do you know what the output should be at idle?

To both replies: I tracked down a problem last year with the connector plug from the stator to the wire harness that carries the stator current to the RR. There is an issue with different gauge wiring and the switch heats up...and that is what I found.

The RR has checked out. The Stator has checked out through the revolution band, various output...

Can the stator be going and causing the RR to go, creating a cycle?

I have followed the drill but I am going to go back to it and go through it again-very helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Scott

• Member Contributer

The workshop manual is available under the Downloads section (top bar of your screen).

It shows the testing procedure (and tolerances) for your stator and regulator

Archived