Muffler Re-Pack - How Often?

NZCam

My 8th-Gen has just completed it's first 12 months and 12,000km (first real service this Friday), and I'm wondering how long fellow riders with aftermarket cans repack their mufflers?

I've had the Two Brothers S1R Slip-on for nearly all of the 12,000km. The website suggests repacking every 5,000 miles (~8,000km), but that seems quite low to me (and means they can sell a a lot more repack kits). What's the collected wisdom of the peanut gallery for those with aftermarket slip-ons? :-)

• Member Contributer

Hi Cam.

All the aftermarkets I've had didn't have any means of repacking the exhaust, same with the OEM's.

Would it be fair to say that if there is no change with the exhaust sound and no visible sign of the packing coming adrift, then do nothing?

Cam, your 12,000k service would only be a minor service.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

I've run my Remus cans over 20,000 miles and never really thought about re-packing them. They don't seem any louder than they did new.

I have repacked my Micron 5th gen a couple of times. I bought it used, so not sure how many miles it had on it when I bought it, but I don't think that many. Bike has 78k miles on it now and the last time I did it was about 2 years ago. Maybe around 60k mile mark. I would think every 25k-30k miles would be a good time.

It needed it:

gallery_1859_4603_332703.jpg

I ended up doing the muffler from my SV650 last year too. Bought the bike used and have no idea the history besides the bike has 11k miles on it. It was used for a track bike though if that makes a difference.

gallery_1859_4603_30921.jpg

Archived