Waterless Coolent

mrmessy800

hi guys and girls.

just about to run a service on my2014 VFR (Anny) and come across waterless coolent designed for anything water cooled. was thinking of changing the coolent of my bike to this as i know she gets hot in traffic and in summer monts the fan is on and off all the time.

any of you got any feed back on this?

thanks

• Member Contributer

Here's some reading on the topic from earlier posts. Mostly applicable to 5th / 6th gen with side mounted rads, but probably similar with the 8th gen. Best mod I've done for the cooling system has been to fit a fan over-ride switch allowing me to control it at will. Cooling has been improved since and no issues with high temps in slow traffic.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79969-evans-powersports-waterless-coolant/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72377-waterless-engine-coolant/#entry852450

• Member Contributer

For info I have used in previous VFR's Genuine Honda Type 2 Coolant. Purchase from any Honda car dealership its blue in colour, pre mixed, is Silicate and Borate free, and is good for up to five years and recommended for all Honda engines

I would be extremely wary of using any type of coolant not recommended by Honda for the bike. Also if away from home and need to top up the coolant its nice to know water would get you by.

Cheers.

Grum

thanks i had just seen the stuff and noticed they had some race spec stuff for bikes.

i know that here in the uk it is not that hot but i live in traffic when going to work. i did a fan override switich on my old cb500.

thanks for your advice think ill leave it alone.

thanks Mr Messy

• Member Contributer

This was a point of discussion some time ago. The boiling point difference between 30% and 50% is not dramatic, but the freezing point difference is. Pick the lowest temp you usually see in the winter or the lowest record temp and mix your coolant to that spec. If you have heated or semi-heated storage, you can dial it back a little. Here in WI the record low is -32C, so I mix to 50%. The more water in the mix, the better it will perform with actually cooling your engine (water has better heat capacity and thermal conductivity than EthGly).

post-17890-0-91071900-1454870572.png

Archived