Need An Extra Key Or Two

RedRicer

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but where can i get an extra key made? I took it to Ace and they said it was a specialty key. should i just try a real lock smith?

Also, anyone know the part number for the key off the top of their head? As I'd like to take in a real Honda blank.

• Member Contributer

I think you mostly have the solution outlined. You need:

a) the factory blank

b) a locksmith to grind the new blank so it matches your existing key

Any decent locksmith (probably even Ace) should be able to handle 'b'. I recently had a couple spares made and they work great.

The part number for a 6th gen (are all gens the same?) key blank is: 35121-MAS-G01

EDIT: The old memory is dribbling out more details... slowly. I only ordered one factory blank, but had two spares cut. The second spare was on a plain blank that my local locksmith stocked. So, it is possible to get a spare made without first ordering a blank from Honda. The issue for you is that Ace, as you suspected, didn't stock blanks as deeply as a genuine locksmith might.

Be glad it's not a chipped key.

That is it's own argle bargle. :pissed:

Coding a chipped key isn't too hard to do on the VFR

Kaldek provided a video on you-tube to help with this along with other VFR procedures

Thanks to Kaldek for his informative videos on the VFR

When I bought my bike (5th gen, no special key) I went to a local locksmith. He easily made a key that fit all of the locks, but for some reason the long cut on the bottom edge he could not cut. Thus the key did everything else but would not lock/unlock the steering.

I did learn from him that there are blanks made all over the world. The original Japanese blanks were very high quality, but today replacement blanks for older Japanese bikes may be Chinese. So note if you go into Honda and buy a blank for an aging bike, it is probably not the original quality. Then, I cannot quite recall, but he talked about one of the countries in Europe that made excellent quality blanks. I apologize for my bad memory, it may have been Italy...? In his gigantic stash of blanks he showed me the same blank made in different areas.

One of the differences in blank quality is adherence to the thickness spec. A Chinese blank may be particularly thin. It might work great at first but could stop working with minimal wear. You may be able to tell putting a caliper to the blanks. The locksmith would know his source but the dealer and the hardware store probably would not.

My issue with the chipped key, which was for an aprilia, so maybe Honda is different,

was that few places had the right equipment to cut the blank, never mind program it.

The 4th of 5th one I tried finally had the right thing, they wanted $50.

Didn't like it, but I paid, since I only had 1 key. :wink:

Oh, the other thing is I see no purpose in an immobilizer technology on a bike that 2 or 3 guys can throw into a van and it's gone! :pissed:

End rant. :comp13:

Archived