Gp Shift - Has Anyone Figured Out How To Do It?

Herricane

I would love to have my VFR shift pattern be the same as my race/track bike just to avoid having shift issues on

race day. I'm wondering if anyone out there has figured out how to reverse the shift pattern on their Gen 8. I wish

it was as easy to do as it was on my GSXR but the shift rod is entirely encased on this VFR which probably means

a lot of work and a lot of money.

Just curious if I'm the only one who wants to do this.

Thank you!

• Member Contributer

ISTR people swapping in CBR shift parts? Many Honda parts are interchangeable. But, you may need the CBR rearsets, too, which would be a problem on the 5th and 6th gen--not sure about the 8th. Good luck.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Do 6th gen rear sets work on the 8th gen?

This may be a source of a shift rod that can mounted to achieve GP shift

Sato makes rear sets for the 6th Gen

Do 6th gen rear sets work on the 8th gen?

This may be a source of a shift rod that can mounted to achieve GP shift

Sato makes rear sets for the 6th Gen

The rear sets are identical, as far as I can tell, between the 6th and 8th gen bikes, so I imagine the Sato (and other) 6th gen rear sets should work fine.

• Member Contributer

Why not buy a quick shifter and mount the input shaft connection upside down?

This is exactly why I grafted a 6th gen lower cushion onto my 5th gen track bike project... so I could flip the shift rod hook-up and add a quick shifter :fing02:

Do you think I'd have to buy a Gen 6 Quick shift to do that or would the Gen 8 Quick Shift work? I'd have to look at that to get a visual but I like the way that sounds as a possibility! Thanks for the idea!

The 8th Gen quickshifter compresses while upshifting. If you flip the linkage, the upshift would put the quickshifter in tension, so you would lose the functionality. Supposedly liter-class CBR or RC51 rearsets will bolt up to a 6th/8th gen after enlarging the mounting holes a little. You'll have to play with the rod length, but I'm pretty sure 900/929/954 rods are shorter than the RC, which would be more desirable in this situation. Not speaking from experience, just after quite a bit of research since I was in the same boat after getting my VFR years ago. Decided to live with the standard shift pattern on the VFR after getting rid of the track bike.

• Member Contributer

I purchased CBR929 rearsets with the intent of modifying for the 6th gen mount. The 6th gen mounting hole spacing on the rearsets is asymmetrical with the left & right spacing being different while the CBR are the same spacing. The Center to Center spacing is different also so this will have to be adapted for to get them to work. The shift rod length looks like it should work.

Ya'll are awesome!! I am really starting to feel confident that this might actually happen!! I can already see that my weekend will be spent in front of this laptop looking at rear sets and shift rods :)

Please keep that ideas and tips coming as they are greatly appreciated!!

• Member Contributer

Ya'll are awesome!! I am really starting to feel confident that this might actually happen!! I can already see that my weekend will be spent in front of this laptop looking at rear sets and shift rods :)

Welcome to the forum... there's a great bunch here. It's traditional to post up a picture of your VFR and a little intro...

...otherwise, you don't exist

• Member Contributer

The 8th Gen quickshifter compresses while upshifting. If you flip the linkage, the upshift would put the quickshifter in tension, so you would lose the functionality. Supposedly liter-class CBR or RC51 rearsets will bolt up to a 6th/8th gen after enlarging the mounting holes a little. You'll have to play with the rod length, but I'm pretty sure 900/929/954 rods are shorter than the RC, which would be more desirable in this situation. Not speaking from experience, just after quite a bit of research since I was in the same boat after getting my VFR years ago. Decided to live with the standard shift pattern on the VFR after getting rid of the track bike.

Agreed but he was looking for a quick fix reverse shift.

• Member Contributer

There is no "quick fix" ...... I've built enough rear set/gear linkage set ups to see that this is simple but does require some fabrication

To reverse the action of the lever you need to use 2 clevis rod ends, a Z linkage and a new shift lever, taking the g/box lever from 12 o'clock on the shaft to a lug at 12 o'clock on the lever

The new shift lever has to pivot on something

You could drill the foot peg hanger and put a pivot in that, but you still have to make lever and linkage, so not so quick

PS clevis rod ends are really cheap and easily available, once it's up and working OK then that's when to get some steel in the lathe and make some fancy fittings

• Member Contributer

Here's a link to someone else's work with 6th & 8th gen parts...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81579-6-gen-reverse-shifter/

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to post-up a picture of my bike to prove that I really exist ... :wink: but I can't figure out how to post pictures on this forum ... I've tried to paste the link from my PhotoBucket account but it didn't work. Please advise ...

• 4 months later...

Archived