Fixable Or Possible Parts Bike?

HughJebolzak

• Member Contributer

There is a 5th gen available a couple of hours away from me. It's a fairly high mileage machine with 142,000 km (88,250 miles) on the clock. The owner states that "the tranny blew third gear while riding to work" recently. Otherwise it's in "perfect" condition.

I'm skeptical of the "perfect condition" claim, but hey who knows.

I would assume that if third gear is shot, it's time for an engine swap. I have no idea if it's reasonably repairable.

Any opinions?

• Member Contributer

When buying used, I look for the nicest I can find. You could probably find a really nice one for not much more money. It's less hassle and cheaper in the long run. If he wants $500 or less and you have room for a parts bike, then maybe it's worth it.

• Member Contributer

At this mileage, what else would be prudent to replace? Wheel bearings and things like that I'm assuming.

I would think that a transmission issue would be considered the kiss of death. I've never worked on one before so I don't really have a clue.

I like to wrench on things but I would assume a transmission would be over my head.

The price is very tempting though. I line with your guess Cogswell. Cheap enough to buy for a parts bike.

• Member Contributer

I saw that listed. Would make a nice project if perhaps it had lower mileage. Otherwise probably for parts only. But with a lower mileage motor and some sweat it might be a nice bike. I never have enough time to ride let alone play with something like this. If I had a nice warm garage space to use over the winter however, then maybe it would be a fun project.

• Member Contributer

Well I had worked a deal out with the guy and was setting a time up to pick it up.

Then he emailed me to say that he just sold it!

What a complete lack of integrity.

I hope it wasn't to someone here who was following the thread and sniped it.

Archived