An Easy Day's Work

mk2davis

• Member Contributer

I recently came into possession of a 2002 VFR. With 70k miles on the clock, it was just broken in. She wasn't pristine, but did come with factory saddlebags and appeared to be cared for by the previous owner. Some attention had to be paid to the recharging system (isn't that always the case?), and some other odds and ends. Once I got these minor issues taken care of, it was time to put some powder on this pig.

Please pardon the crappy pics. I was in process when I decided to document.

post-24428-0-21893900-1448298321.jpg

The first and easiest improvement was an 8 spoke rear wheel. I had a 3rd gen bike, that although is very reliable, looks wise . . . let's just say she has a great personality. So first thing to do to take the 3rd gen wheel off. Then, through the magic of ebay, I installed a 4th gen wheel on the 3rd. While the 3rd gen wheel bolts directly to the 6th, the 6th will not bolt to the 3rd without modification.

post-24428-0-09515300-1448300135.jpg

The next stage of my plan was to install a Shad tailrack on the bike, and then use a Givi plate and rack from my 3rd gen. The Shad rack seems very stout, and replaces the passenger grab handles. It works without modification with the factory hardbags. The Shad specs kept saying '05-'09 VFR, but it fit mine to a "T". To fit the Givi Plate, one just has to drill a hole into each foot of the Shad mounts, and she seems very secure.

The next step was to paint the front wheel to match and gussy up the front forks. I have a great pic of this somewhere I will edit later. But when all is said and done, I have this little peach.

post-24428-0-83432300-1448300617.jpg

post-24428-0-01404300-1448300657.jpg

Not to bad for a days work (about 5 hours). The most useful thing is obviously the tailrack with the factory bags. But I do like my wheels.

post-24428-0-80278200-1448300400.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice. I'm not sure that gold wheels are my thing but you seem to have done a great job at painting the front one and matching them. You have got skills! As for the bags, there is no more useful items on a VFR. Short of a flame thrower for idiots that cut you off...

Cheers!

C

Archived