2010 1200 Dct Comments

VFRRelic

I found a 2010 1200 DCT model at a dealer still in the crate. I can get a great deal on it and am soliciting any comments from members as to long term use, reliability and general comments. I have not seen one in my area of the country so I have no benchmark.

Thanks to everyone.

PS I am still keeping my 800.

• Member Contributer

There is plenty of info on the Gen 7 here, including long threads on the pros/cons. Seems it's a polarizing bike - there are those that love it and those that loathe it. I've found those that love it are mostly those that own it. I fall into that camp. The DCT vs. clutch option leads to even further stratification. I have the '10 1200 DCT. Like you, I found mine new at a dealer in 2014 and bought it with zero miles and full warranty. I have a Gen4 VFR as well, and love it too, but I always gravitate to the 1200 nowadays. It is a wonderfully unique motorcycle, made more so with DCT. You will love the bike. I've got over 27K on the bike and no issues to date. Valves were perfect when checked. Maintenance is trivial so far, easy, especially with no chain maintenance. Keeping the 800 is a great way to go as I think you'll find they are different, but complimentary.

i have a 2010 non DCT but i have never ridden a bike that i love as much as this.....definitely do the Guhl reflash...it improves the rideability greatly.....reliability is not an issue...like any bike the suspension is ok and can be made better, ....Michelin PR4 and Pirelli Angel GT seem like the top tire choice....this bike is a blast esp once dialed in....and comfy all day long

I love my 2010 DCT. 18,000 miles and no issues. Valves checked at 17,000 miles and all were in spec. Had the Guhl re-flash recently and gas mileage is suffering (because I can't keep my hands off the throttle). It really transformed the bike. Much smoother shifts and low speed maneuvers. It's a blast to drive. It's like riding a rocket ship. I'd definitely buy another one. Big smiles every time I ride.

Just traded mine, but 30k miles with nothing but basic maintenance. Same - valves at 16k were in spec. Guhl re-flash was a huge upgrade or it would've been gone long ago.

FWIW I don't miss the 7th much at all. 5th & 6th make me happy.

Archived