Talk Me Out Of A New $8K, 8Th Gen - Or Not

I've posted in the past that I love my 2002 VFR and will keep it until it falls apart or I am unable to ride anymore. Add to that, I've stated I would not trade my 02 for a new 8th gen. Long story short, I've been looking for a second bike, not sure what I want, just been looking through the classified ads for some 'good deal.'

Came across a new 2014 for just under $8k. That is more than I want to spend but almost too good of a deal to pass up. Somebody help me, do I add a stable mate for my 02? Should add, it is a base model but truth be told, that is less than I paid for my 02 back in May of 02.

• Member Contributer

I've posted in the past that I love my 2002 VFR and will keep it until it falls apart or I am unable to ride anymore. Add to that, I've stated I would not trade my 02 for a new 8th gen. Long story short, I've been looking for a second bike, not sure what I want, just been looking through the classified ads for some 'good deal.'

Came across a new 2015 for just under $8k. That is more than I want to spend but almost too good of a deal to pass up. Somebody help me, do I add a stable mate for my 02? Should add, it is a base model but truth be told, that is less than I paid for my 02 back in May of 02.

Is there any way you could test ride one first? It might be nice to see if there's enough perceived difference to justify the outlay. That is a good deal - I paid $8,500 for my 5th gen when it was new.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure but I think there are differences in the front forks between the std and dlx versions. Wait until you hear from others here before pulling any triggers is my recommendation. Though I did test ride a std and it seemed plenty fine to me (6' and 200lbs). And the standard definitely won't have abs or center stand or rear seat cowl or traction or heated grips. If any of those are important to you then waiting may be a good plan. There is a DLX in wisconsin advertised on cycle trader that is like $8K you might want to look into.

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Cedar-Creek-Motorsports-2849254/listing/2014-Honda-Interceptor-DLX-114917243

There's a DLX at Pete's in Baltimore for $9000 also (both are 2014 but these are identical to 2015s I heard from shinigami in an post reply to a question on differences except for a part in the headlight assembly or something-he did a part search on the two years as I remember).

• Member Contributer

2 bikes very similar. Unless you are setting one up for touring and one for sporting about, sounds like something is going to be neglected and ultimately sold. Not like you have a cruiser and a VFR.

I'm talking you out of it unless ultimately you'd like to get a new ride.

• Member Contributer

2 bikes very similar.

Nothing strange there, that was the position I was in.

I have certain requirements for my riding and the VFR fits that bill perfectly. So when one gets old/I get a hankering for a new bike, a VFR is the natural choice. So then I run one as my winter hack and one as my summer tourer. Eventually, the summer tourer becomes the winter hack, which is what happened earlier this year when I bought my 7th Gen.

God hose are cheap!!!! I thought they retailed for about $14K or $15K up here in the Great White North!! I may need to update my figures.

C

Serious, would be worth it to import and be without warranty

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Archived