1000R Forks In 750 Trees?

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

Hi guys, tried a search but didn't find anything to match. I'm looking at putting a pair of 1000r forks in my 750's triples and wondering what I'll come up against? I want to keep the 750 clamps for convenience - I don't want the hassle of relocating the fuse panel.

From what I know so far I'll have to bore the triples and handlebars out 1mm to fit. Want to keep the ergos of the 750 'bars. I have the 1000r guard, clamps and brace I'd like to use, but not sure if the spacing is the same as the 750? Can't seem to get an accurate measurement, but it looks like it should be close?

I'd eventually like to put some 1000r wheels I have on as well, and I think the front will be straight forward, but the rear may give me some problems around the brake caliper/disk components.

Any advice (and links?) appreciated.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Thanks Seb. I had't thought of using 1000f bars. I have some spare R bars, but yeah, they're too racey for this bike. Cheers for that. If the fork spacing turns out to be different, I'll have to use the r triples, but that's the only reason I can see to change?

I personally would rather not bore those parts, especially if you'll be paying a machine shop to do it for you. The money is better spent on good solid parts, IMO.

The fuse box will not be hard to tuck away.

• Member Contributer

I'd eventually like to put some 1000r wheels I have on as well, and I think the front will be straight forward, but the rear may give me some problems around the brake caliper/disk components.

Any advice (and links?) appreciated.

cheers

ian

I am currently working on a rear set-up that retains the stock caliper and brake stay arm and keeps the caliper in the same location, allowing the use of a 1000R rear wheel on a 750 or 1000F with minimal modification. It's almost a bolt on, 1 hole needs to be machined from 17 to 20mm. If/when I get it together (and it works), I will post the details.

• Member Contributer

I am currently working on a rear set-up that retains the stock caliper and brake stay arm and keeps the caliper in the same location, allowing the use of a 1000R rear wheel on a 750 or 1000F with minimal modification. It almost a bolt on, 1 hole needs to be machined from 17 to 20mm. If/when I get it together (and it works), I will post the details.

That sounds great captain. I'll keep an eye out for it.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Bit of an update. Managed to get the forks fitted. Got a 1KR lower triple because the 750 one was too thin after boring. Retained the top 750 triple which seemed to be OK. Got a pair of 750 clip-ons bored and they also looked suitably robust.

1Kfront.jpg

Everything lines up. Just need to get a new front tyre and finish painting the front guard. Picked up a braced swingarm for the rear and fitted it. Bolted on apart from having to split the chain to thread it through the bracing.

• Member Contributer

I posted the write up on another forum regarding fitting the 1000R rear wheel (as mentioned above), I couldn't remember where I originally saw your post. I know it's been done many times, but I never liked any of the brake stay solutions using the 1000R caliper and bracket. I know some have used the right lower footpeg bracket mount location, but after looking, I started thinking of an alternative that looked less of an after thought.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/49599-VF1000R-wheels-on-a-VF700-750-1000F-Alternative-method

Do you happen to have a 1000R rear caliper bracket that you can measure the width of?

Looks like you had some work done to the front rotors too.

And no picture of the swingarm? I think that's against forum rules.

Mike.

• Member Contributer

My advice? Bite the bullet and move the fuse box while implementing the R triples. Get a set of bars from a 1000F, the R clip-ons are low and and angles more aggressively.

The 1000F bars are pretty tall. I changed my 1000F bars out for the 1994-1997 VFR750F bars. The pinch bolt location makes them suitable regarding the fuse cover. I had them installed un-modified for a few years, but trimmed them just a little on the threaded side so I gained just a little more adjustability. I also trimmed the front rounded part of the fuse cover so the hoses and cables had some more room, plus I thought it looked cleaner.

gallery_6115_4100_1216929.jpg

• Member Contributer

I posted the write up on another forum regarding fitting the 1000R rear wheel (as mentioned above), I couldn't remember where I originally saw your post. I know it's been done many times, but I never liked any of the brake stay solutions using the 1000R caliper and bracket. I know some have used the right lower footpeg bracket mount location, but after looking, I started thinking of an alternative that looked less of an after thought.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/49599-VF1000R-wheels-on-a-VF700-750-1000F-Alternative-method

Do you happen to have a 1000R rear caliper bracket that you can measure the width of?

Looks like you had some work done to the front rotors too.

And no picture of the swingarm? I think that's against forum rules.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I'm watching your rear wheel post with interest. Hoping to do the same. The only caliper bracket I have is fitted to the R, and probably won't measure accurately enough for you?

Bought those rotors already drilled. Was going to fit them to the R, but this will do ;-)

You may be able to see the rear swingarm in that pic, but I'll take another one for you.

That's a nice tidy cockpit you've got there.

ian

Those have got to be some of my favorite wheels out there, can't wait to see this thing done to get the full picture.

• Member Contributer

Hmm. It seems the braced swingarm was not the bargain I thought it was :mellow:

Got my chain split to feed through the bracing, and it fouls on the upright. Bugger.

chain.jpg

Back to stock.

Good news at the front end however, It's all come together pretty well. Apart from needing a 1000R speedo drive now :wacko:

front.jpg

• Member Contributer

Shit.

Front end looks great though! Good job.

I'll have some info on the last spacer for the rear wheel soon, but if you get to that point anybody can figure it out. Hell, the spacer and shims I have in there would work just fine but I want it finalized.

Archived