• Member Contributer

No symptoms at all, was checking electrical connections when I found the plug going into the starter relay was melted on the outside. Since I wired the positive from the R/R strait to the battery years ago, I've had no problems until this. The solid red wire is the offender, the 3 others are pristine. According to my reading of the wiring diagram, the solid red goes to the ignition switch, so why would it get hot? The bike fires up in about a second, literally touch the starter and it's running, so no long spells cranking it. Any input what to look for/how to bypass?

Speaking of bypass, since the R/R is wired strait to the battery, bypassing the starter relay, do I even need the red/white wire hooked to it? I did all my electrical upgrades pre-4th GEN VFRharness from tightwad, which is why I don't have one of his excellent products.

This is a perfect example on why NOT to wait until the weekend before a trip to prep the bike.

SumSum3 < 3 weeks!

• Member Contributer

This is a perfect example on why NOT to wait until the weekend before a trip to prep the bike.

SumSum3 < 3 weeks!

Great advice!!

Starter relay wire/plug problem is very typical for >4th Gen.

Reason? Usual reason, motorcycle charging system and wiring is a compromise, on any bike - not just VFR. They design it for low weight and cheap manufacturing/installation cost.

The only fix is a full replacement starter relay. Good news is that almost any Honda starter relay will work, and I suspect that just about any Japanese manufacturer's starter relay will do the job- don't quote me on that, but they all do the same thing...

• Member Contributer

Good advice Rangemaster. I took a pre sumsum3 trip to Santa Fe complete with stop and go traffic near the Plaza. Cooling fan did not come on!

Blown fuse replaced and general service at friendly local shop makes for much more confidence before Colorado Cruise.

See you at Montrose!

Archived